Chapter 24

I stayed sitting with a huge smile on my face as I looked down at the shimmering jewelry on my finger. Everything seemed to be happening so fast, but I was too excited to care. I had known Damien since we met in high school. I even remember the first time I met him Sophomore year.

I was leaning on my locker casually as Matt, one of the cute soccer athletes, stood next to me. We were in the middle of classes. We often spent the five minutes to socialize. He had just come from class and was talking about how his Science teacher partnered him up with some guy from the science club as I hugged my books to my chest.

“It’s an easy ‘A,’” he was saying. “Hopefully, you’ll get someone like that too. God, knows you need all the help you can get Mads,” he teased, his lips turning upward.

Naturally I rolled my eyes and shoved him playfully. It was all in vain since he didn’t even budge. “Thanks for the support.”

Matt and I had dated once before, but after a week, we decided to stay good friends. He was one of many that didn’t know about my parents and we talked a lot at school. I kept it that way with a lot of people. Trixie was the exception since her mom sort of took me in when we were younger.

Matt knew nothing. He stayed oblivious to the troubles I had, as well as the rest of the friends I surrounded myself with. They were only school friends. People that meant nothing after I went home. Most of them cared more about other people and themselves too much to notice that I kept them at a distance anyway. However, Matt actually took the liberty to ask questions and bud in every once in a while, but gave up a year ago.

“Oh come on, Madeline, you know it’s true!” he joked. “If you get stuck with someone that can’t pull their own weight and expect you to do the work, you’ll both be screwed!”

I was in mid laugh when I spotted him. He was walking down the hall with a piece of paper in hand looking a little lost. Curious, Matt followed my gaze behind him.

“Looks like we have a new guy,” he stated pretty obviously. He then smiled. “He looks completely lost,” he chuckled his green eyes looking at me. I didn’t meet them. They stayed transfixed on the new comer. “Go help him,” Matt told me nudging me slightly.

My eyes went wide as I looked back at Matt. “What?”

“You heard me. Go help the new guy.” I searched his face for anything that told me that he was kidding. He knew I was shy. Hell, it took me months to talk to Matt in first grade and that was because he stole my crayons.

Matt nudged me again. This time a little more forceful. I sighed, “Fine! I’m going.”

I walked up to him. His dark hair was shaggy and in his eyes, hiding them as they looked down at the paper and up at the number above the doors facing away from me.

“You look a little lost,” I noted. My arms were still hugging my books to my chest and I felt my palms go a little sweaty. “He’s really cute,” I thought. “God, why did Matt tell me to come over here?”

He looked at me in surprise. He stood there for a moment with his blue eyes wide. He didn’t say anything for a little moment, but soon, he chuckled and took his spare hand and rubbed the back of his neck. “I am.”

His voice was smooth and deep. I remembered thinking about how I liked his laugh before replying, “We all are once in a while,” with a small smile. “What does it say you have for fourth hour?” I looked down at his paper as he did.

“English with Mr. Remolds,” he read aloud before meeting my gaze.

“What a coincidence,” Matt spoke happily behind me. “Madeline is heading there now!” I jumped at his sudden invasion of privacy and shot him a pointed look, which he ignored as usual. “I’m Matt Bronson.” Matt threw out his hand, which the new guy shook with a smile.

“Dilan Smith,” he replied. For some reason, I didn’t think the name fit him. It sounded strange on his lips, but it was pushed aside and I smiled at him.

The first bell rang and Matt nudged me. “Better get going, Mads. Don’t want Dilan to be late on his first day,” he teased just before walking off in the opposite direction. “See you guys at lunch!” he called over the rest of the crowd.

“Mads?” Dilan asked, looking at me strangely.

“It’s his nickname for me, since first grade. My name was too long for him to pronounce,” I explained, faintly remembering the memories of first grade. “Now he’s just lazy,” I added as we walked down the hall.

A few people stared at Dilan as they walked. Others gave me a short “Hi Mads,” and “See you at lunch.” Trixie passed us just before we reached the room. She was in the hall across from me, in a different English class.

“Don’t forget we’re going to my place before driver’s ed. My mom’s picking us up,” she reminded me after glancing at Dilan and walking into her classroom after I nodded.

It was so normally back then. Dilan had become very close to my small group of friends. A month later he asked me out on our first date, which was absolutely wonderful.

He’d found a nice spot in a field by a park and set up a picnic. There was a checkered blanket and everything. It was perfect and he was a complete gentlemen. He offered to take me home, but I refused and told him I was just going to go to Trixie’s house anyway. She lived a block away from the park.  

He became persistent over time and finally during the end of August, just before we were to enter our Junior year, he snapped.

“Why won’t you let me take you home or let me meet your parents?” he asked with a frown as we stood by his car. I avoided his gaze, but he walked closer to me and wrapped one arm around his waist as the other brought my chin up. I still didn’t look at him. “Madders,” he began, using the nickname he created for me, “look at me.” Like an idiot, I did. “I know something’s wrong,” he stated with his brows furrowed, “And your hiding something from me.” His eyes saddened. “Please don’t hide from me. You can tell me anything.”

And for some reason, I knew it was true. I didn’t have a single doubt in my mind that he’d understand.

So I told him. I told him everything. My mom’s addiction. My dad’s way of pretending she didn’t exist. The threats  I got from her. The way I avoided the house. And that Trixie was the only person that knew.

He’d kissed me. He kissed my tear stained cheeks and my forehead before bringing me into a tight embrace. “I’m here,” he mumbled into my hair. He kissed the top of my head several times as I calmed down. We went to his house for the remainder of the day and I started to spend a lot more time there. Sometimes I’d stay after dinner with his parents and sometimes his parent’s let me stay the night.

My mind snapped back to reality as I wondered if those two people I had known were even his parents at all. If they weren’t, then who were his parents?

I suddenly felt like I didn’t know Damien at all and my heart sank.

And although that shimmering ring on my finger made me giggle in the inside, I felt the need to get to know his family. His real family.

***

So this chapter was ment to give everyone a little blast from the past. Vote and Comment to tell me what you think!