Chapter 9

I was in deep thought when I ran into Xavior – literally speaking. I don’t know how he didn’t notice me, but I was too busy looking at the ground, making sure I didn’t trip over any roots or logs all the while thinking about how confused I felt about Dilan – Damien – as a demon. Of course he didn’t act any differently around me, but I knew the truth. I had to constantly remind myself that I loved him for who he was as a person and not as an evil creatures I read in textbooks and Arista’s current news updates.

When Xavior caught me from falling on the ground, his arms felt awkward around my waist. He pulled back as fast as he could once I was steadied. It was obvious he was watching his boundaries with me. Dilan – or Damien – acted the same way when we first met, but unlike here, I wasn’t afraid to put a stop to that. The mere thought of Damien and our short time together had me take a few steps back. I suddenly felt like I was betraying him.

I looked up at Xavior with a smile. “You called?” I asked.

He nodded. “I was sent to inform you that it is safe for you to come home.”

“Thank you, Xavior.”

Once he nodded, I teleported back to the palace. I appeared in the throne room, which looked like something had caught fire. A lot of thing had burnt marks and there was some walls that was in a pile of burnt rumble. The King stood in a small circle next to Blithe and a few other guards. Xavior materialized soon after. Only then did everyone in the room greet me.

“What happened while I was gone?” I asked walking toward their small group. My father and Blithe stepped out of the circle.

“Six more Demon solders attacked. We managed to capture one. Three were killed and the rest retreated,” Blithe informed.

“When I came back, it was over,” Xavior added, still standing next to me. “We just finished cleaning up some of the mess.”

“Did you get any information from the captured?” I asked, turning to look at my father.

He nodded and answered, “He said he was sent here by the Demon King’s royal advisor to kill you.” I gulped and shivered at the thought.

“King Damien didn’t send them then?” I inquired, relieved that he had been telling the truth. “Anything else? No future plans?”

The king shook his head. “He said that King Damien’s plan was to ignore us and not have anything to do with us, but the solder said he overheard the royal advisor talking about how he was meeting someone on the island today.”

“You didn’t happen to see him while you were exploring the island did you?” Xavior piped in.

“No,” I replied, shaking my head. “Were you hoping I did?”

“Sort of,” Blithe answered sadly. “We had thought that if you had, then he would have reconsidered.”

“I am sorry for your disappointment, gentlemen,” I consoled.

“No need to be sorry,” my father interjected before I could continue. “It wasn’t your fault and there was nothing more you could have done. Go clean up and meet Madam Pavoni for your lessons.”

I nodded my head and curtsied out of respect before leaving the throne room.

*~*~*

“There you are, your majesty,” Madam Pavoni greeted me once I entered the ball room. I was now showered and dressed in clean clothes, which looked a lot better than the dress I wore before. It had smudged of dirt all over it from exploring the island. “I am so glad that you are safe and well. May we begin?”