2U (That Day In Third Grade) PART II

THE MORNING OF THE BARBEQUE

"Dinah? You up yet sweetie?" Millika knocked twice on her eldest daughter's bedroom door. The blonde, who was sprawled out across her queen sized bed watching Bad Girls Club reruns nodded, turning the volume down to give her mother her undivided attention.

"I've been up for a while. I really couldn't sleep after everything that happened last night."

"Did something happen to you at the party? Y/N promised she wouldn't let anything - "

Dinah quickly interrupted her mother so she wouldn't get the wrong idea about her girlfriend. Wow, after all these years of wooing after the attractive bad girl, she could finally call her that. "No, the party was perfect mom. Beyond perfect. She kissed me."

Dinah's mother wiped a small tear from her eye and sat near her daughter on the part of the bed she wasn't occupying. "My little girl's growing up so fast. Honey, your father and I have been talking and, we still give you our blessings to date Y/N, because she's truly an amazing girl that genuinely cares about you. We just want you to be careful. We don't know much about gangs and how they work, but they're never easy to get out of. We want you happy, but we want you safe too."

"I'll be safe mom," Dinah reassured. "And I'll have Y/N. That alone is pretty much all the safety I think a person can get."

"Well, can't argue with you there unfortunately. Get dressed and come on down. We've got a big day of cooking and setting up to do. And make sure that girlfriend of yours is here to help like she promised."

The doorbell rang less than two seconds later, and both the Hansen women laughed. They couldn't deny the fact that Y/N was always true to her word.

Downstairs in the Hansen residence, Y/N greeted Dinah's father and younger siblings as she sat her contribution of packed sausage links and her family's secret homemade potato salad into the kitchen.

"Good morning Gordon, I uhm, I'd like for you to meet my parents." Y/N introduced her parents to her girlfriend's parents, a formal declaration of their love in her eyes. After that kiss last night, Y/N knew what she felt for Dinah wasn't just infatuation or lust.

"Good morning Y/N. You really didn't have to be here until this afternoon, but since you were kind enough to come early, I assume my daughter is the real reason you arrived so soon. She's upstairs in her room."

"Thank you Gordon." Y/N checked her breath and pulled the single red rose from the inside of her jacket pocket, making sure it wasn't smashed before heading up the steps.

"Y/N," Millika gave the young girl a hug. "I'm would say I'm surprised that you're here this early, but knowing you the way I do now, I know that early is on time for you. Dinah's right in there watching TV and probably not getting ready like I told her."

"Uhm, thank you Millika." Y/N smiled as Dinah's mother made her way back downstairs, presumably to meet her parents. She knocked twice on Dinah's bedroom door and opened it, smiling at the sight of Dinah laying on her stomach in her Wonder Woman pajamas. Could she get any cuter?

"Hey cutie," Y/N made her presence known. "Your parents told me you were still in here and gave me permission to come in. I do have your permission right?"

"Of course," Dinah smiled, walking up to her girlfriend with a nervous smile. They'd only been official for about twenty four hours, but the nerves and butterflies were still there. "You're always welcomed here."