Bad News

I sit on the couch of my living room trying to think how I am gonna write this essay as my two best friends have an argument over who is gonna have the last piece of chocolate. I laugh as they both end up dropping it on the floor. 

I roll my eyes at the two of them, "Why didn't you guys just split it up so you both can have some?" 

Sky shakes his head plopping down next to me, "Cause I am the oldest therefore, he doesn't get any."

Leo puts his hands on his hips, "No the youngest gets it before the oldest."

I laugh just as my brother walks in from getting off work, and he smiles at us. "Have you guys had supper yet?" 

We all shake our heads no, as I look at Sky. "Are you guys going home or staying tonight?"

He looks at his phone, "Well our parents are off on business trips again this week, so whatever you want us to do." 

Sky and Leo's parents both got new jobs last year where they travel out on business meets almost every week including weekends, so they are always at our house. They should just make it home here. 

I hear Matt open the fridge as he rumbles around, "Why don't you guys stay here tonight and I will make some steaks for supper?"

We all agree in union as I groan in frustration at my essay.  Sky laughs at me as I put a pillow over my face. Matt laughs along, "Whats wrong with her? To much homework?"

Leo smirks, "Nope, we have a essay trying to write about who do we love and she has writers block."

I roll my eyes, "You two already have one page and I have nothing but my name."

Sky points at my heart, "Well who does this love?" and with that she hops over to the TV putting in a movie as I think about my answer. 

I put away my homework and get up to help my brother when I hear the sounds with our favorite movie, Nightmare Before Christmas. 

"Katiee, do you have any boba" asked the usual question by the usual person, Leo. 

I roll my eyes as I grab the cup of boba reserved specifficaly for Leo, and a bottle of water for Sky.  "Oh no, we don't we just have toilet water. Sorry" Laughing I hand Sky her water as Leo sticks his tongue out. I go outside to see if the grill is warmed up for the steaks and greet my brother. 

"Do you know what your gonna write your essay about yet" asks my brother with a curious look in his eyes. 

"No, I have no idea." I answer as I sit on top of the railing.  "I wish those two would tell me what they are writing about."

"You probably do, you just dont realize it" Matt comes and leans next to me, and shakes his head when I give him a confused look. "Have you ever thought that those two might love you more than you think." 

"Uh, yeah, we are like family" I point out as I try to understand his point. 

"Just go get the steak" he goes back up to the grill.

Sighing I go inside to grab the steak as I try to understand what he was saying. I walk inside as the Sky and Leo look up at me and immediately stop talking. Raising an eyebrow, "Did i miss something?"

"Nope, just the beginning of the movie" Sky comes over taking the steak from my hands bringing out to my brother. 

Over the next few days, I think about the essay more and more, even tho it isn't due for another month. I have a doctors appointment today, just my check up on my legs and how the plates and screws are doing. The only sucky thing, we have to drive three hours away. My brother wakes me up at 7:30 so I am showered and ready, I send a text to Sky and Leo reminding them I am gone today.  Thinking about it, since Sky or Leo didn't take my Spanish or business class, I send a text to Quinn asking if he can come over after school so I can get the notes.  He replies with a sure and a smiley face. 

A few hours late and I already am going mad riding with my brother.  "Come on I don't wanna listen to pop music" says my annoyed my brother.

"Well I don't wanna listen to country, lets listen to john denver" I stare at my brother.

"Fine, atleast I can listen to this" He rolls his eyes at me.

I fidget with my hands the closer we get to the clinic. I feel my brother put his hand over mine, "Hey it will be okay, I am sure its just to make sure nothing moved."

Little while later, I hear my name as my brother and I go to follow the nurse back into the room. I watch as she takes my blood pressure and temperature, everything a nurse normally does. When the doctor comes I stare at his hands as he reads his notes.

"Still having pain in your knees"He asks as he reads what my brother and I told the nurse. 

I nod and gestures for me to sit on the table. As we go through some things, and me crying after he tried to do my knee reactions. Also going through those stupid CT scans. I am sitting in the chair and he folds his hands together and looks at me. 

"I am affraid that your plates did not go in correctly, and we are gonna have to have surgery and do knee replacements" He keeps talking but I don't hear the rest as my whole body goes numb. 

"There is one thing, if we don't do it correctly, she could end up paralyzed."