Chapter 30: Free Fallin'

Leo

            Leo knew how risky it was to be doing this which is why he couldn't help his increased heartbeat as a dark swirling ball began to appear in the center of the room. Thanatos closed his eyes, and the ball exploded. Leo was sent spiraling off his feet. Darkness clouded his vision for a moment. The first thing he noticed was that Thanatos was gone, but he had been replaced by another figure.

            Atlas growled at Leo and stalked up to him. Leo cowardly tried to run, but he also tried to ignore the cowardness and try to face up to Atlas for Calypso. Atlas pinned him onto the ground, ready and very willing to kill him. Leo was choking. He tried to bring one hand up to signal him to stop.

            "Who are you?" Atlas hissed. "What do you want?"

            Leo pointed a shaky hand at Atlas's hands still wrapped around his throat. Atlas pried his hands off, and Leo coughed while sucking in deep gulps of air.

            "L-Leo Vald-dez," He coughed. "I...I need your help."

            "My help?!" Atlas cackled. "Why would I help you, demigod, when all your kind have caused upon me is constant pain and suffering? You need a better reason than that to explain why I shouldn't kill you right here, right now."

            "Revenge!" Leo sputtered. "On Gaea, for trying to make you join her. We can bring her to you. Supply you with an army. I just need something...something in return."

            "Something in return, eh? Let's say that I would decide to accept your deal. What would I have to do for you?"

            "I need to get back to Ogygia," Leo announced. "I need to release your daughter. To free her. I want to let her go."

            "And why do you think that you are worthy enough for her? You're just another weak demigod that will die in time. She needs someone who will last and love her forever. Not some everyday idiot prancing around trying to kill monsters!"

            "I'm no average demigod," Leo hissed. "I'm Leo Valdez, Son of Hephaestus, one of the seven of the prophecy, and I am truly in love with your daughter. I'm so in love that I can't live without her! I can't stop thinking about her! I need her, Atlas, and she needs to be loved."

            Atlas stood there menacingly. Leo watched nervously as he pondered what the Son of Hephaestus had just said. Leo just hoped that Atlas would tell him how to get back to her. That was all he needed.

            "First of all, Ogygia isn't actually called Ogygia. It's called Gozo, and it's in Malta."

            "Malta? Isn't that by the Mediterranean Sea?" Leo tried to remember. He wasn't perfect with maps, but he still usually knew where something was when someone told him a city, state, or country."

            "Yes, it is, but you have to understand that Malta is a dangerous place to be. When you get even close to Gozo, monsters of all sorts will attack you. An army. They will do anything to prevent you from getting there. No man has been able to even find it, let alone get back to it."

            "Why haven't they been able to find it?"

            "Because it's clouded by Mist. It's a special type of mist, though. It's supposed to keep everyone, even Gods and demigods, from seeing it. It's very strong. Only the most determined demigods would be able to even glance at it for a split second. You, though, you have something to help you, correct? Something you got from Calypso herself."