3.17 | Project Parenting

Start from the beginning

That much, I understood even without being a mother.

Arnav exhaled and apologized, "I'm sorry, di. I didn't realize it would..."

"It's fine, chote." She forgave him instantly, "When he does learn, I just want him to know he is every bit a Raizada. Nothing like his father."

Aarav complained, "But I am like my dad!"

He was talking about Arnav, ofcourse. Anjali smiled at him, "Yes, baby. You'll be exactly like your dad." She said looking intently at Arnav. Shyam may be the father, but in all true sense, Arnav was his dad.

Since the heavy moment was out of the way, Lavanya distracted the topic, "So did you and dad have lunch yet?"

Aarav shook his head, "We decided to wait for you all."

Lavanya held out her hand, "Okay, come on. Let's go wash our hands."

While he got down from Anjali's lap, he asked, "Di, did you get me a new lunch box?"

Anjali nodded, "Ofcourse baby. Go wash your hands first. I'll give it after lunch, okay?"

He nodded and left with Lavanya. Arnav asked, "Another lunch box?"

Anjali informed with a chuckle, "He wanted a bigger one. Said he wanted to share his lunch with Jhanvi but the one he has was small so when they shared, it wasn't enough for both of them."

Arnav too smiled amused while shaking his head, "He is 6 but seems to have his own love story going on. Khushi, I don't think you're doing a good job keeping him away from girls." He got up and started to walk towards the stairs to go to his room.

I recalled he had said this during the launch. I walked with him to dispose of the shopping bags in my room. "Oh hush your mind. My kid has nothing as such going through his head."

"Yeah right. I'm telling you. We have a young version of Armaan and Riddhima playing out here." He stuck to his part. "You just don't believe it because you haven't seen him and Jhanvi. I was there trying to get him to come home. Took me almost an hour."

"They could turn out like me and Angad." I pick at another example, though ofcourse I don't know any better. Like he said, I haven't seen Aarav and Jhanvi together. "Or you and Lavanya."

"Trust me, I can pick out a love story from miles." He said just as we reached his room.

"Sure, Arnav. Sure." I let him humor himself as we parted way and I kept on walking to my room.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

"Khushi," Anjali calls out from the second last step of the stairs later that afternoon.

"Yes, di?"

She beckons me down with a request, "Could you please hang these in Arnav's closet? They're his dry-cleaned clothes. I think I overworked myself today. It hurts to climb the stairs."

I reached her by the time she stops explaining. With a hand on my hip, I questioned, " Did you have your medicines?"

"I am just going to get them," she assured.

Not good enough. I took the bundle of folded and stacked dry cleaned clothes and put them on the stair before taking her elbow and leading her to the couch. As I did, my scolding began, "No, you are going to sit right here, and I will go get your medicines. Also, clothes be damned. You need to let the man pick up his own slack. Why do you insist on babying him all the time? He is very much capable of hanging his own clothes in his closet."