Chapter 5

We travelled for days along the coast. Nox said we were following the one-oh-one, whatever that meant, but we came further and further north, past cities like Eureka, which I'd been able to pronounce without too much difficulty. My mother hadn't been able to teach me much spelling. I knew the basics, but as soon as Nox found out, he had me reading faded street signs the whole way from Los Angeles. And there were a lot.

"What does that say?" Nox asked me as we came towards another big green sign supported by big metal poles. I ran the letters over in my mind, silently sounding each of them out and then adding them together.

"Pist...Pistol River," I said, looking up at my maker for confirmation. He smiled and nodded as we went past the sign. I beamed.

"You're becoming a pro."

"Well, I have to thank my teacher."

"He must be very talented."

I eyed Nox sideways, trying to keep the stupid grin off my face. "He certainly thinks so."

The shove was meant to be playful, but caught me so off guard despite my heightened senses, that I stumbled and careened sideways with a yelp. I landed with a huff on the asphalt, feeling the small loose gravel digging into my palms. A noise broke through the silent night. Nox was bent over, hands holding onto his knees as he laughed. And laughed.

"I don't think I've ever seen a vampire actually stumble." He kept chuckling as he walked over and offered me a hand, seeing as I was still just flat on the ground. Ignoring his hand, I pushed myself back up onto my feet, trying my best to give him a death glare.

"It's not like I've had centuries to practice like certain others," I growled, not even wanting to look at him at that moment.

"Emily," Nox grabbed my shoulders and turned me towards him. "Please. I am sorry. We will work on your high-speed balance." His red eyes softened and I could almost see my own reflection in them. We were standing close off to the side of the empty road. There was nothing but trees and a few scattered houses that looked too worse for wear surrounding us. The wind blew in from the ocean, bringing in a strong scent of brine and seaweed. The waves were faint in my ears, but I could isolate the sound and just listen to the water as it crashed against the shores.

"Fine." I took a step back, forcing Nox to let go of me. His arms dropped to his sides and he nodded, looking almost solemn, but I chose not to let my mind linger on it.

"Let's keep going, yeah?" I said, putting on a smile for the both of us. Nox caught on quick and flashed a smile perhaps a bit too big.

"Yes. We've got about 5 hours until dawn and from my estimation we have about two days left before we reach Portland-"

"Which we are avoiding," I added.

"Yes, but I reckon if we stay right on the coast we'll be alright. I don't want to have to go inland and that way around."

"I trust you."

Nox's smile dropped just the slightest as he turned away from me towards the direction we were headed.

"Ready?"

I stepped up next to him, fighting the sudden urge to grasp his hand in mine, to entwine our fingers and not let go. I kept my gaze straight ahead. "Ready."

And then we were off again. My surroundings were a mere blur as I sped past dark houses and trees. Sometimes the treeline stopped and I could see the ocean on my left. I tried keeping my ears tuned into the rhythmic crashing of waves against the sandy shores or the large boulders, letting the calm wash over me like it did the beach.