Chapter 22

I leapt from my seat, glaring at the smirking Pedro, a full-on death stare. If looks could kill this guy would be nothing but smouldering ashes now. His smug face told me everything I needed to know; we had walked right into his trap.

"You will not harm a single hair on Nox's head," I growled, feeling the predator within me come to life. But that wasn't all. I felt my powers flowing like a current through my body, like I was charged with electricity.

"Or what?" Pedro was taunting me, wanting me to show my powers. I figured if he wanted to see what I could do so badly, then by all means.

"Or I will incinerate this place." The energy moved through me and out towards my hand and I felt it pool in my palm, forming a round, pulsating blue orb.

Pedro, looking all of the sudden speechless, stared wide-eyed at the magic in my hand. "Magnífico," he whispered and got up from his seat.

I stepped backwards towards the exit.

"One more step and you are dust," I warned. The king's smile stilled and I could tell his mind was working on figuring out whether or not I was serious. If I wasn't uncertain if Nox was still here, then I would have gladly burnt this place to the ground, but...I didn't want to hurt Nox. I felt suddenly conflicted; my body was screaming at me to release my powers, but my mind was telling me to wait, to find Nox. Was it emotions I was feeling?

I didn't have time for emotions.

I pushed the thoughts back and focused on the vampire in front of me.

"Emily, you wouldn't risk hurting your maker, would you?"

"How do I even know he's here?"

"Oh, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you."

I searched myself within, looking for any signs of Nox's presence nearby. For once I wished I hadn't broken off our connection, but I had no idea how to get it back right now. I had to rely on gut feeling and it was telling me that Nox was still here.

"Bring him here. We'll leave immediately and you'll get to keep your house in one piece."

The king smirked and I wanted to punch him for it. "I don't think you quite understand how this works, miss Emily. I am the king here so I call the shots."

"And I don't think you quite understand how easily I could burn you to a crisp."

Silence.

Pedro stared at me and I met his gaze straight on. I would not be kept a prisoner ever again so I was getting out of this place, by any means necessary. The vampire king seemed to believe this as well as he sighed and ran a finger along the top edge of his chair.

"Mi dulce, I do not wish to harm you or I would have done so already. I wish for you to work with me. This," he gestured around the lavish room, "this could be yours if you wanted. Your powers are extraordinary and would be of great use to any vampire king in the country if they were lucky enough to meet you."

"You haven't exactly shown that I can trust you. Let me and Nox leave tonight and I'll consider your offer." I said. Work with him? Ha! Not in a million years would I work with someone like this, but I figured I'd try anything to get out of here.

"I doubt you'll return to me if I let you leave just like that. You haven't even given it a chance. I could make you rich – give you all the blood you'd ever need. Treat you like a queen. My queen. Together we'd be unstoppable." His eyes grew darker as I forced myself to keep my face in an unreadable mask, when all I wanted to do was gag.

"All I want right now is Nox. Where is he?"

"Who is to say?" Pedro shrugged. "Maybe he is too busy fucking one of my human women, breaking her spine as he thrusts into her." His voice was husk and low and conjured unwanted images in my head. They're just words, I thought to myself.

"I'm afraid I don't believe you." My voice was steady and my fingers gently touched the ring on my finger.

Pedro didn't miss this gesture and smiled. "He means a great deal to you."

I bared my teeth. "He's my maker."

"Yes, but he's much more than that, isn't he? One might even say that there's love involved."

The rage inside of me boiled, but I knew I couldn't lose control. I couldn't risk harming Nox, wherever he was. The energy zapped through me and presented itself in a crackling blue ball in my palm. I cupped it between my fingers and watched once more how the vampire king's facial expression brightened.

"Are there any more of you? Is it hereditary? Your parents, perhaps?"

I growled, a deep and low rumble in my throat. "They're dead and so will you be if you don't bring me my maker!"

"Such anger, such potential." Pedro tut-tutted, which only annoyed me further. He seemed to be lost in thought for a moment. "Tell you what. I will have your Nox fetched up here and let you both leave."

I wasn't buying that. "On what condition?"

"Must I have a motive? Fine. I'd like for you to do a little job for me in return."

"What kind of job?"

"Nothing big," Pedro said, waving a hand. "I just need to you to relay a message to someone that has been disappointing me lately. As a show of trust."

"If I do this I will need to know that Nox is here."

"But of course."

Just then I could hear movement, a shuffling noise as if something heavy was being dragged across the floor. I dreaded what I knew came next as I turned and saw two large men half-carrying half-dragging an almost unconscious Nox between them. His handsome face was covered in bruises and blood was dripping from multiple cuts across his face. Even his hair was caked in semi-dried blood. The men dropped his body and he landed with a thud on the floor, coughing as he tried to stand for himself.

"Nox." My voice sounded hollow, but he managed to lift his face, one eye closed shut from bruises and looked at me.

"Em." His voice was a whisper; fragile and hurting and it seemed to pain him to speak.

Something broke inside of me; it was like my insides had been slowly ripped out and stomped on, then put back inside my body, expected to function like before. Only they didn't. It all came back rushing to me; the sadness and hurt from my father's abandonment, the confusion and the love for Nox and I realised with a start that I could sense Nox's pain, but most strongly his deep affection for me. It overpowered everything else.

Our bond was working.

I could feel again.