Chapter 55

Ana's POV

I was so damn angry with Matt I was glad he was going away for two weeks because maybe, just maybe I won't kill him.

I rolled over and looked at the clock, it was nearly 9 o'clock. He'd be at the airport now.

I closed my eyes, maybe Matt just wasn't ready for a serious relationship, and that realization hurt. I felt tears rise but I blinked them back. I wasn't going to do this now.

My phone rang and I picked it up.

"Hey dad." I said.

"Hey, honey, mom and I were wondering if you might come for lunch today, your sisters coming and hopefully Josh if we can track him down." I felt my stomach drop, this wasn't good.

"Sure, of course I will." We agreed on a time and we hung up.

I looked at my phone and saw there were absolutely no missed call's or text messages. Nothing from Matt. He hadn't even attempted to apologise.

I layed in bed for most of the morning thinking, actually I felt miserable and didn't want to get out of bed ever again.

But I did. I showered and dressed and got ready to go to Mom and Dad's.

I grabbed my bag and key's and opened the door. There was a little package on the doorstep. I picked it up, it had no name on it so I stuck it in my bag and got in my car.

My week had already started out bad and it was about to get worse.

We all sat around the table, Stacey and Martin were there, Josh wasn't because nobody knew where he was.

I looked at mom and realised she looked terrible, how had I not noticed before this?

We sat there eating lunch and then dad dropped the bombshell.

"Your mom's treatments have been stopped. They're not working anyway."

I was shocked, but I wasn't,  I just had to look at mom to know something was going on.

"So, this is it girls." Mom said matter of factly.

I looked at her, was she serious?

"Mom, stop being ridiculous." Stacey said.

"Oh I'm not honey, a couple of weeks, that's it."

Dad got up and left the table, Stacey started sobbing and I sat there stunned.

Mom seemed fine with it and she spent the afternoon consoling us when in truth, we should've been consoling her.

I went home devastated and as I layed on my bed all I wanted to do was call Matt, but he would be in the air and well maybe he wouldn't want to know anyway.

And so it began.

I took indefinite time off work, I had to be with mom. I virtually moved in. I was not leaving.

Mom had a nurse who came in to help with her pain management and relief and I would sit there grilling her constantly.

Stacey and Josh weren't coping so they hardly came around, it bothered me and I know it bothered mom.

We talked alot, about everything, but especially Matt. I didn't have the heart to tell her that that wasn't looking too good either. It had been nearly a week and I hadn't heard a word from him.

It was only the next day while mom was sleeping that I glanced at my phone and noticed a missed call from him.

One missed call. That was it. I put my head down on moms bed and I cried.

It was a couple of days later that Christina, mom's nurse pulled me aside.

"Nurse to nurse, I'm telling you Ana that it's not going to be long, so please speak to the other's,  your mom really wants them here."

I nodded crying, I knew it was coming.

I tried to convince Stacey and Josh to stay, but they always made fleeting visits, leaving with some lame excuse.

"You know they love you mom." I told her a day or so later.

She nodded and smiled at me "You always were my strong one." and she took my hand.

"What did he do Ana? What did he do that was so bad?" She asked me out of the blue. "He loves you, you know, goodness, anyone can see that."

"Mom, really, lets not talk about this." I said squeezing her hand.

"No, let's talk about it, he makes you happy." and she laughed "He's always made you happy, you two, you were terrible at times."

She closed her eyes.

I sat there, looking at her hand in mine.

"I know you love him, it's written all over your face, and it's the same with Matt. Forgive him Ana, he loves you. And I love you."

And that was the last thing she said to me. She didn't wake up again, and the next day while I was sitting there holding her hand, my mom died.

It was only later that night as I was sitting on my bed numb, did I notice the little package in my bag.

I pulled it out and opened it. There was no note, but I knew it was from Matt, he must've left it on the door step the night he left.

It was a necklace, it was very simple, just a plain heart, but it was beautiful.

I layed down on the bed and I started crying, I didn't think I would ever stop.