Distraction

The van sped down the dark rainy streets and through alley ways. If they weren't about to rob a bank they'd have a different lawsuit on their hands. But Joker wasn't gonna be insulted with a petty traffic ticket. If he went down, he went down only at the hands of the Bat. So that he could take them out together.
I was strapped into the passenger seat. Joker and a few goons rode in the back with the seats put down. I couldn't understand why they were welcoming danger, especially with Frost's frantic driving. Joker told me my best bet for an outfit for tonight would be my jester suit. It would conceal my hair and eyes and didn't have any pieces of loose material to get caught in anything. But I think he just likes it.
My nerves were shot to say the least. Just a little target practice was all it took to prove to the Joker I could go on his missions? If I had known maybe I would have missed on purpose. But then again maybe not because I liked to impress him. I'm not sure that's what would be happening tonight however. I may not even walk out alive.
Finally the van lurched to a stop and the back doors flung open. I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Harley dear you will be our delightful little distraction for the night. D'ya know any tricks?"
I smiled, trying to seem confident and answered in my most charming New York accent "You betcha J."
"Good" he growled and pulled me out the back with him. "You go in there and show me what you've got. The boys and I will follow." He said as he pushed me for the door.
I walked up to it, knees shaking and heart pounding. "Treat it like a show. They're just an audience like you always have" I assured myself before I burst through the bank doors. "Good evening Gotham Bank and Trust" I burst in and throw my arms up in a grand gesture. All eyes on me already. Big Surprise in this get up.
"I'm your lovely entertainment for the night." I here did a few cartwheels and then the splits to make sure no one looked away. I saw Joker's men coming in through a side door. "Any requests?" I asked in my learned stripper voice. More charming and unintelligent than my normal one.
   I saw several people pull out their cell phones, and one banker reach for a gun under his desk. I needed to act like I wasn't posing a threat or I'd be toast.
"Please, no recording this stupendous event!" I said to a college aged girl standing with her phone out. To her dismay I grabbed her phone, then spun her around and took a picture with her. "Here this'll last ya longer."
   She looked confused but smiled as I handed back her phone. Then there was a gunshot in the back. Everyone jumped and a middle aged man behind the nearest desk ran over to me, putting my hands behind my back.
"Hey what's ya problem?" But I couldn't listen to his answer. I was scared to death that bullet was meant for Joker. I hoped so badly it wasn't. For whatever reason he wanted to die by the hands of the Bat, and no one else.
    Suddenly there was a huge crash as Joker was thrown through the back doors. His goons running out before him. He lay on the floor laughing, but I could tell he was injured, and that he couldn't get up. A shadowy figure emerged from the room from which he had been thrown.
   "Ya know" Joker sputtered between jagged breaths, "I didn't think you'd be making it to the party tonight Bats." Joker tried to regain his composure, but stayed on the floor.
   "Your hits are becoming obvious now Joker." The gruff male voice replied. "This is one of the only banks you haven't hit. You thought I wouldn't have an eye on the place?" He one short distasteful laugh. It made my skin crawl. Laughin' was meant for the joy of my J. Not for mockin a man whose down.
    I struggled to get my wrists free from the security guard. He had a tight grip but he was becoming too distracted with all the action. Batman reached down for Joker, Joker pulled a knife and swiped at him, creating a gash on his lower arm. Batman hissed and kicked J across the floor.
   "No!" I screamed. I saw the poor man spit a bit of blood before laughing weakly. I spun around quickly, loosing my wrists and kicking the security guard. I swiped his club from his belt on the way down and ran across the room to batman, who crouched over his injured arm.
    Before I could take a swing at the back of his head, he swung his head around and caught the hard in with his injured hand. I could see the pain in his gritted teeth. "Don't touch him!" At this point I was seething. I don't know what made me so mad but I couldn't think about that right now. I felt a sharp pain in my ribs as I felt myself being propelled backwards onto the floor, realizing he had got me down too.
    "I don't think so!" I screamed and ran at him, jumping on his back and trying to choke him with one arm, holding a bat with the other. We probably looked like quite a sight. My small frame trying to overcome a large black beast.
   He reached for my arm and flung me over him, I flailed for a second but made my feet hit the ground before my spine did. I spun around again in one last attempt and landed a hard blow to his stomach. He bent over and groaned loud.
    I ran over to Joker, who had been watching with amazement and laughing. I helped him up and we ran to the car "Well done Harls." He said proudly. I looked in his eyes and could almost see a hint of pain there beneath the pride.
This is how I developed my hatred for batman.