Chapter 16 - Team Charlie

16

Anita and Mike fell behind the others on their way back. “So,” said Mike. “What do you think we should do once we finish this whole John business?” Anita looked at him, thinking before giving him an answer. “I don't know. I hadn't really thought about it really,” she answered. Mike drew a deep breath. “Why don't you come with me?” Anita raised an eyebrow. “Come with you? Where?” she asked. Mike smiled nervously. “I don't know. I mean, you're not the kind of person to settle down in one place, and neither am I,” he said. “Maybe we could move further towards the remains of Boston. Deep inside the city,” he offered. Anita remained quiet for a while before answering. “Let's deal with this first,” she smiled. “Then we'll see,” she continued. Mike turned his head, afraid that he was going to blush. Anita noticed and snickered quietly.

Half an hour later, Stonegate town was on the horizon. “And we're back!” exclaimed Sam, excitedly. Christy had been busy making friends with Ellie on the way. They had a lot in common,having both lost their parents at a young age and developing a strong interest in hunting and shooting in general. As they reached the gates, a guard opened for them. “We need to speak to the council immediately,” said Mike. “I'll gather them at once,” said the guard before running towards the main building.

Mike told the council everything in as much detail as possible. Anita filled in any blanks. An uncomfortable silence settled in the room. “We need to get our hands on the final component,” said the old man. “But we can't send them out again so soon. Look at them, they're exhausted,” interjected the young woman. “I see your point. Team Bravo is on guard duty at the moment. What about Team Charlie?” asked the old man. “They're on stand by. Shall I call for them?” asked the younger man. “Yes. Have them ready as soon as possible,” he replied. “Anita, could I have you pinpoint the location of the last component?” Anita nodded. “Certainly.” She pulled out a piece of paper. A map. Mike's eyes widened. “Did you take that from the office?” he asked. “Yes, I tore it out right before we left. Figured we might need it,” she said, smiling. Mike shook his head in disbelief. “I doubt John will be happy,” he said laughing. Anita handed over the map to the old man. “I see. Very well, we will dispatch them to the location. Any idea what they should be looking for?” he asked. “I'm not sure, but they might have trouble finding a proper source of radioactive material. Everything around us is radioactive to a certain extent, but you need a high amount of radioactivity to build a bomb,” offered Mike. The old man nodded. “Call for them right away, I want them to report directly to Mike when they come back.” The young woman walked out of the room. “You're free to go and rest. Sam and Christy, you are welcome to rent a room on my expenses,” said the old man. “It's okay,” replied Ellie. “They can stay with me, I have extra space.” The man nodded. “Very well, you're free to go. And thank you again.”

As they walked out, Mike thought about something. “Anita, where are you going to stay?” he asked. Anita looked at Mike, a cheeky smile on her lips. “Why, with you of course,” she replied. “That is, if it's okay with you,” she added. Mike raised his eyebrows. “I... uhh, okay, sure. I'll sleep on the couch,” he said. Anita laughed. “If you say so,” she said. Mike was red as a tomato. He turned to Sam and the others. “We're going back to my place. I will send for you as soon as we receive news, okay?” Sam nodded. “Alright, boy. Get some rest,” he replied. “Oh and behave,” he added, looking at Anita.

Mike unlocked the front door and gave way for Anita. “It's a lovely place, Mike,” she commented. “Thanks, I like it a lot, actually.” They took seats at the table. “Aren't you going to offer me something to drink?” asked Anita, jokingly. “Oh, of course. I don't usually have guests,” said Mike, smiling. “What would you like?” “A glass of water would do nicely.” Mike left to get the water. A minute later, he returned with a jug of water, two glasses and a plate with dried pork, bread and cheese. “I'm starving and I figure you must be too,” he said. Anita nodded. “Yes, it's been a quite a while since I last had a proper meal.”

Two hours later, they were both sitting on the couch, deep engaged in conversation. “So where are your parents?” asked Mike. “My mother died a few years after I was born. Cancer caused by the radiation,” she replied. “I'm sorry to hear that. Is your father still alive?” “He is, or I think so, at least. I have no idea where he is, though. Last I saw him was two years ago. He left Mountain Side to look for his brother and I haven't seen or heard from him since,” she replied.

A few minutes went by before Anita yawned. “I'm really tired, I think I'll go to bed,” she said, stretching her arms. “Sure. The bedroom is upstairs on the left. Gun under the pillow, just in case,” said Mike, smiling. “Better safe than sorry right?” said Anita. “Good night Mike,” she said, hugging him tightly. “Good night.” Mike was blushing again, but didn't say anything else. As he lay down on the couch, sleep came to him almost instantly.