Chapter 49 - Backup

49

As Mike woke up and opened his eyes, he immediately knew that something was wrong. His view was that of the ground... several meters below. He tried to jerk backwards, away from the drop, but was unable to. A man held him by the neck. “Let me go!” he shouted, but the man did not respond. Then, with a sudden jerk, he pulled Mike up and turned him around, arching his back on the low wall. “Who are you? Who sent you?” asked the man. Mike spat in his face, resulting in the man pushing harder, almost throwing him over the edge. He heard footsteps coming from somewhere behind the man. Rightly so, three mercenaries joined them. “Has he talked yet?” asked one of them to the man holding Mike. He shook his head. The man who had spoken came closer, pushing the other one away and grabbed Mike himself. “Listen here asshole. You tell me what I want to know or you'd better learn how to fly, and fast.” Mike chuckled at the threat. The man reacted by punching him in the face. Mike turned his head and spat blood out. “Let's try that again. Who are you?” “I'm Mike, pleasure to meet you,” chuckled Mike. It earned him another punch to the face. “What? I answered you,” he complained. “Who sent you?” asked the man, this time shouting.

Before Mike could reply, a buzzing sound filled the air. They all looked up to the sky, puzzled. “Who the hell is that?” said everyone in unison. Mike was just as surprised as the others.

The NFAD buzzed through the sky. The hospital was now in reach. “Sir, there is activity on the roof. Probably our target,” notified the pilot. “Excellent, take us down there. I want to rope down,” replied Roger. As soon as they were on top of the abandoned hospital, Roger and Cole roped down onto the roof. Before landing, they already had their weapons out and swiftly killed the mercenaries. Douglas pulled out his sniper rifle, about to shoot the man who had just rushed onto the roof. Recognition stopped his finger from pulling the trigger. That's Richard.

By the time Roger and Cole landed on the roof, everyone was dead except for Mike and the man who had rushed out. Richard froze in shock. “Who... what's going on?” he asked, confused. Roger approached him and shook his hand. “The name is Roger, my friends call me Ray. The Resistance sent me. I was ordered to get you and your friends here back to HQ,” he said. “I have no idea why,” replied Richard, “but I appreciate the help. Come downstairs with me, our friend needs help.” Roger nodded and they ran downstairs to find Anita. Meanwhile, Cole helped Mike get up. “I have no idea who you are, but thank you. I had kind of expected Richard to come save my ass but it seems like you guys beat him to it.” Cole nodded. “No problem, just following orders. Where's the third one of you?” Mike's eyes widened as he remembered Anita. “Damn, I hope she's fine. Come, quick.” And so they too ran off to find Anita.