Chapter 45 - The Doctor

45

The man in the dark silver suit turned to face the greenish fluid. In it was a vague humanoid shape. Its left hand had developed two long claws and a third leg had appeared. Another failure. As soon as the nuclear core is operational, I will be guaranteed success. Before leaving, he went over to a scientist in a white coat who was bending over a table, looking through a microscope. “Any news, Dana?” he asked. “The molecular structure hasn't changed sufficiently, as expected, sir. I'm afraid we'll have to dispose of this one as well,” she replied, not taking her eyes off the slide she was looking at through the microscope. The man took a deep breath and sighed. Looking at the other scientist in the room, he said, “Jackson, get this thing out of here. You know what to do with it.” As the scientist nodded, he turned around and finally left the laboratory.

Continuing down the corridor, he went to the stairwell and descended two floors. Floor B1. Facility of Medicine and Surgery. This floor was very different. The corridor was only about 30 meters long and rather unremarkable; a dull white colour of the walls and a few bright lights. Three doors were present; one on the left side, one on the right and one straight ahead. They were marked with 'Disease', 'Surgery', and 'Emergency' respectively. Entering the door on the right, he walked straight to the front desk. As she recognized him, the young receptionist almost let out a whimper of fear. “H...Hello Sir. How can I help you today?” The man looked at her and smiled softly. “Relax Abigail. I'm just here to speak to Dr. Petkovic.” “Uh.. certainly, I'll get him right away.” She almost fell as she quickly rose from her chair and practically ran to his examination room. She knocked on the door and entered without waiting for a reply. Dr. Petkovic was currently seeing a patient and looked at her inquisitively. “Yes?” “Hi doctor, the boss is here to see you.” The doctor raised his eyebrows. “Oh. Tell him to meet me in my office. I'll go there now.” He turned to face the patient. “Excuse me sir, I'll be right back.” He stood up and left the examination room as the receptionist hurried back to the man waiting for her.

The doctor had just arrived in his office by the time the man in the dark silver suit entered. Ah, hello sir, please, have a seat.” The man took a seat, not because he was asked to, but because standing up was hurting him. “It's my knee. Again,” he said. The doctor removed his glasses and examined the troublesome knee. “If the treatment I gave you last time didn't work, I'm afraid the only option left is surgery. Corrective surgery of the ligament should stabilize the joint and stop the weakness and pain,” he explained. “When is the earliest you can do this?” asked the man. “For you, tomorrow morning.” The man nodded, pleased. “I'll be here at 9 o'clock. Leaving the office, the man in the dark silver suit headed back to his own office. He had much to discuss with Jon.