Chapter 66 - Arthur

66

...52 years ago...

Thomas sat next to his daughter's bed. She was screaming, crying in pain. The pain of birth was a horrible one. It had been a while since the last birth, but he was proud that he was going to have a grandson. Mark stood on the other side of the bed and held her hand tightly, wincing at his wife's screaming. Thomas remained quiet in his chair. These were screams that would turn into joy. Yet the last time he had heard his daughter scream and cry like this was that fateful night some three years ago. Four had gone out hunting, three had returned. When they told him they had gone past the safe-zone to explore, when they told him the youngest girl had been killed by a human being, when they showed him the insignia of the Epsilon Company he had wanted to scream in anger. He was angry at them for leaving the safe-zone, mad at the cold-blooded murder of an innocent child, mad at mercenaries responsible for it. Yet he had said nothing. He had endured the screaming as his daughter collapsed in front of him, a profound feeling of guilt and sadness consuming her. Mark had held her tightly but it had been of little use. It was on that day that he had made a point that no one would ever be leaving the safe-zone. It didn't matter if he had to lie to others, no one was going to leave the safe-zone ever again.

He returned to the present, feeling guilty of thinking such depressing thoughts in such a beautiful moment. His daughter was still screaming in pain, but there was a finality to it. The baby was half-way out and Mark had begun shouting in encouragement. At this point, both Thomas and Mark had one thing in common: wives in tears. Tears of joy.

Finally, the baby was delivered successfully. Thomas proceeded to pick up a cloth and cleaned the new-born baby thoroughly. 'It's a boy,' announced Mark. He looked at his wife. 'It's a boy, sweetheart'. She sobbed, in relief this time, and stretched her arms out to hold her new-born. Thomas looked at the couple and smiled. 'So, do you know what you're going to name him?' he asked. Mark looked at him, a grin on his face. 'Yes. His name will be Arthur.'