Chapter 14 - Betrayal

14

Silence. Marcus looked at Daniel uncertainly, before pressing the button on the detonator again. Nothing. “It's not working,” said Marcus, worried. “The C4 won't detonate. What do we do now?” he asked. “Don't worry, Marcus,” said Daniel. “I have a plan.”

“Look at this file,” said Mike. “It has 'Codename J' on it.” “I think it's what we're looking for,” said Ellie, excited. Mike opened the file to see a list of words. “These are the components. Is there written where to find them?” asked Anita. Mike flipped through a few pages until he found a map. Locations had been marked with circles. Most had been crossed out. “Look,” said Anita. “There are three circles which aren't crossed out. This one must be where we found the rubber cement,” she said, pointing at one of the circles. “That means these two are the locations of the last components. Look at this circle, it's indicating where the ruins of the National Heritage Museum are,” said Ellie. There must be one of the components there. “Which one shall we go after first?” asked Mike. “This is the closest one to where we currently are. Let's go there, get it, and then go to the last location,” said Anita. “The last circle Is marking the federal center.” Mike nodded “Alright. Now where's our distraction?” he asked. A few seconds passed before he heard two loud gunshots. All three of them turned to face the sound. “What was that?” asked Ellie. “Gunshots,” replied Anita, a dark tone in her voice. “That can't be good,” said Ellie. “Why has there not been an explosion?” “I have no idea,” said Mike. “Let's get out of here.”

Daniel ran across the field as fast as he could. The alarm was loud in the background. He was getting closer to the rendezvous point. His heart was beating fast, his body full of adrenaline. He couldn't feel his legs anymore, but he kept on running. He reached the top of the hill overlooking the air force base. He bent over, resting his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. Mike, Anita, and Ellie appeared close by. “Daniel!” said Ellie. “Where's Marcus?” she asked, her face filled with worry. Daniel looked down and shook his head. “I'm sorry Ellie, he didn't make it.” “What?!” said Mike, surprised and angry. “The explosive didn't detonate. A mercenary saw us and started shooting. He killed Marcus. I had no choice but to run,” said Daniel. “I ran as fast as I could. At one point I looked behind me to see him giving up the chase to go and sound the alarm. I'm sorry.” A tear ran down his face. Ellie started crying heavily. Mike put his arms around her and pulled her in. “Shh Ellie, it's okay.” Anita stood by the side, quietly.

“So what's the plan?” asked Mike, a few minutes later. Everyone remained in silence for a few seconds before Anita started, “We go to the museum. Get whatever they're looking for, presumably the detonator, and kill any mercenaries we see on the way.” Mike gently let go of Ellie whose crying had died down to a silent sobbing. “You got it. They're going to pay for what they did,” said Mike, anger in his eyes. The four of them picked up their equipment and prayed silently for Marcus before heading South East towards the National Heritage Museum.

It was early morning by the time they arrived. The sun was rising, its light still faint. The museum was a large single block. The left side of the building had been destroyed by an explosion. The right side seemed intact, a big wooden door at the main entrance. Two broken windows could be seen on the right wall, together with a small service entrance door. “Shall we split up again?” asked Mike. “No,” replied Daniel quickly. “Look over there,” he said, pointing at the main entrance of the museum. Four mercenaries were standing outside the front door, weapons in hand. “Damn it, they're already here,” said Anita. “The back entrance seems clear. Let's enter from there, quick,” said Daniel, whispering. Mike had an odd feeling he couldn't seem to shake off, but he agreed and they moved quickly towards the service entrance.

Mike tried the door knob but it wouldn't budge. “It's locked. Anita, hand me the lock pick.” Anita pulled out a small rod of steel designed to pick locks. Mike removed a bobby pin from the inside of his jacket and proceeded to unlock the door. He turned the door knob and it opened smoothly. “Stay right where you are,” came from inside the room. A light turned on. John Thorne was pointing a pistol directly at Mike. A group of 5 mercenaries stood close to him, weapons aimed at the others. Mike felt something touching his back. Glancing around, he saw Daniel holding his pistol up against Mike. “Daniel! What the hell are you doing?” asked Mike, shocked. Ellie had a horror-struck expression on her face. Anita stared at Daniel, furious. “I knew something was wrong. You traitor,” she said, her voice full of hate. Daniel pushed Mike and the others into the center of the room. “Don't take it personally. This is the only logical move,” said Daniel, a poisonous smile on his lips. “Why, Daniel, why?!” shouted Mike, angrily. John raised his eyebrows. “Why, you ask. For the same reasons as always. Money and power. Why else would someone betray their friends?” Daniel nodded, smiling. “Everyone has their price, after all.”

“Let me guess,” said Anita. “Marcus didn't get shot by a mercenary. You shot him, didn't you?” Daniel smiled sourly. “Yes, but that was only after I tampered with the C4. Couldn't risk you blowing up a fuel tank, could I?” “You're gonna pay for this!” spat Mike, furious. He was trembling with anger. “Right, I'm sure he will. Now, moving on,” said John casually. “You have caused me a great deal of trouble. All three of you”, he continued. “And now...” knocking on the door interrupted him. A mercenary entered. “What do you want?” asked John, annoyed. “Sir, we've found it,” said the mercenary. John smiled. “Very good. Round up everyone and get back to base.” “Yes sir,” said the mercenary, hurrying out. “Well, we certainly don't seem to have a reason to hang around here any longer. You and you, come with me,” he said, pointing at 2 of the mercenaries. “Daniel, kill them and hide them somewhere where they won't be found. Then join us. Your reward is ready.”

With that, John left the room. The other 3 mercenaries aimed their weapons at them. “Get down on your knees. Now.” Mike and Ellie obeyed. Anita stood firm. “I said get down!” said Daniel, louder. “If you're going to shoot me anyway, might as well let me stand,” spat Anita. Daniel grabbed her throat and slammed his knee into the back of hers, dropping her to the ground. “Get. Down.” Mike was boiling with anger. “Don't get me wrong, Mike. I take no pleasure in doing this, I have known you for a while after all.” “The same goes for you Ellie,” said Daniel. “I suppose things will be a bit easier if we start with you, Anita.” “Make sure he doesn't move,” said Daniel, pointing at Mike. One of the mercenaries walked over to him and aimed his rifle directly at his head. “Twitch one muscle, and my finger will twitch on the trigger,” he said, smugly. Daniel pointed his gun at the back of Anitas head.