Chapter 64 - The Last Rest

64

This time they had not remained in his office like usual. Instead, he had led them to a large conference room with hundreds of seats. Meetings in here usually meant trouble. It was large enough to fit every person at the Headquarters and, judging by the amount of people already sitting down, it was likely that they were all here. At least all the soldiers, commanders and other leaders were.

Mike, Anita, Alexia and Ray all had front row seats. The rest of Ray's squad was there too. On their sides were the highest ranking officers. Artemis did not take a seat. Instead, he went directly up to the stage and stood behind the podium. As he stood there, the rowd died down to listen. 'My dear colleagues. My dear friends and family. We gather here because we have some grave news to share. But this is not only for that. Today, I present to you the plan that will save us. The plan that will allow us to prosper in these difficult times. Today is the day we prepare to strike at the U.S.G.A.' The crowd stirred, voices cutting off each other. 'Silence, please,'invited Artemis. The crowd fell silent once more. He looked at Alexia. 'Alexia, would you like to come up here and tell everyone what you told me earlier?' She stood up without hesitating. Looking at no one, she walked up and took Artemis' place behind the podium.She took a deep breath, and then she spoke.

'Hello everyone. For those who do not know, my name is Alexia. I have spent the past years serving as a spy within the U.S.G.A., and I am here now, after being caught and subsequently rescued. And it was for the better. Now I am able to stand before you all and provide you with much vital information,' she announced. The crowd stirred, but she continued. 'The enemy has an administrative base and a military one.The military one is located at Deer Island, an abandoned industrial plant that survived the war and has since been changed into a military base. More importantly, the administrative base where The President resides, is located on Snake Island.' As the crowd exploded, Alexia stepped aside to let Artemis speak. 'Silence please.' The crowd took longer to quiet down this time. 'We have used this information together with more sensitive details to devise a strategy. A large force would never be able to navigate the base on Snake Island, not to mention getting there is only possible by boat.I will brief the five-man team that I'll send after this meeting. For now, the main military plan: Our main force will be heading up towards the center of Boston to provide a distraction. No doubt their forces will march on us. This is no trickery. We take the battle to them. If they think we bluff, we will simply take the attack to their military base. What we need is to give the team a chance to succeed in their vital mission. Without this distraction, the enemy forces would arrive at the administrative base in short time. Lives will be lost, but not in vain.' The crowd roared enthusiastically. 'We are The Resistance! We will Resist!' The crowd repeated after Artemis in a chant.

Minutes later, Artemis was in his office together with Alexia. Soon after,they were joined by Mike, Anita, Ray, Cole and Douglas. He faced them and began. 'You are the chosen five with good reason. Ray, Cole,Douglas, you have proven your worth on multiple occasions. You're an excellent squad. Mike and Anita, you are newcomers but you have shown your loyalty and skill. I have full faith in you.' Alexia spoke up.'I have some more information. Things that I feel should only be shared with you guys since you're the ones taking on Snake Island,' she said. Everyone waited for her to continue. 'Firstly, to reach the island you must sail on a boat. There are some at the far end of the runway of the ruins of the Logan International Airport for emergencies. This, however, means that you must traverse the airport.I do not know what you'll encounter there, but I am sure that it will not be pleasant. There are rumors of vicious monsters though I do not know if they are true.' No one said a word. 'Furthermore,' she continued, 'On reaching the island there is a small cabin with a lift. The security code is "1-8-9-2-4". And lastly, you should find The President on the lowest floor. A key card is needed to go to the lowest four floors, but there is a secret access past the laboratory. Once you're there you should find a stair case leading down to the second lowest floor. From there you must go to the opposite side and take the large marble stairs down to the bottom.'

'Hold on a minute,' said Mike. 'Why the boat, why not just land the NFAD directly on Snake Island?' 'Because,' answered Alexia, 'for the first you lose any hopes of a stealthy approach. The alarm will go off and every soldier inside the compound will be ready for you when the elevator doors open. Secondly, any flying vehicles over Snake Island are destroyed by cannons located where Coughlin Park used to be.'Mike nodded in silence and pressed his lips together tightly.'Alright, boat it is. When are we going?' 'Tomorrow morning,' said Artemis. 'Also, you will not be gearing up at the usual armory. I have a secret armory with some of the best gear we have here. You will have free access to it before you leave.' The five of them nodded in thanks. 'Go and rest. Tomorrow will be a long day.'