Chapter 32: Nostalgia

Of the seven days Liz had to return to her body, she spent five of them with Derek. She would scribble little things down and he would ask her questions that she could easily reply to. Every word that he spoke was always directed to her, not her body laying in bed.

Liz only had two days left to return or that would be the end of her. With Derek sitting before her, he asked a plethora of questions at once.

"What should we do? Do I need to do something? If so, what? Are you going to make it back on time? What happens if you don't?"

She scribbled quickly, but still legible. Everything will be okay, just stop worrying. I love you.

He smiled, "Okay."

---------------

Liz traveled back to her father, due to the fact that she had no idea how to do this.

"You told me to use willpower but how? Am I just supposed to imagine it happening?"

"Elizabeth, you've already accomplished it."

Her brain twisted and turned. "What do you mean? I've been like this the whole time. I haven't become alive again?"

"You have. I see it in your eyes. You just don't know it."

"But I don't know how I did it?"

"Usually, not all the time, but usually, all that has to happen is a few words are said. Whoever is giving you the will to fight back and return to your body must stay with you as you both say it. They cannot leave or sleep or do anything but be beside you."

"I love you."

"I love you, too, sweetheart, but you must--"

"No, dad, those are the words. Every time I say it to Derek, he goes to sleep. But he doesn't instantly fall asleep. Maybe I am partially alive but my brain doesn't recognize it."

"There's only one way to find out."

-------------

DEREK! She scribbled down on the paper, placing it on his lap as he sat next to her body.

"What is it? Is everything okay?"

I need you to say you love me. But I have to say it the same time you do. Okay?

"Okay. Ready? 1, 2, 3."

"I love you," they said in unison. Her eyes slammed shut without her doing it. Seconds felt like hours. Liz opened her eyes, gasping for air. She sat up, Derek sitting before her.

His mouth hung open in awe. She immediately hugged him, not ever wanting to let go.

"How did you?" he asked, mid-hug.

Pulling away, Liz said, "I don't know. It was something I had to try. My father taught me to use willpower. But the willpower had to come from someone. That someone was you."

"Your adoptive father?"

She smiled, shaking her head. "My real dad. I met him. He was nice and told me he was always looking over me as I grew up. He told me I had to kill my mom, because, because she killed him. I promised him I would."

"Liz, I'm so happy for you," he smiled, kissing her softly. "But we have to go. Your deal with your mom is up in just twenty four hours."

"Let's go." She jumped off the bed, Derek already halfway down the stairs. Liz stopped, staring around the room. "I love you, dad." She looked down at her wrist, seeing it glow with immense power. She smiled to herself before running to follow Derek.