Chapter 5: Kale

Liz woke up, dazed and confused. She had never seen this place before. The room was torn to shreds and random objects laid about the floor. She stood up, dusting off her clothes. She pushed the objects aside with her foot as she slowly walked out of the room, entering a long corridor. The building was just as messy as the room she was in. Liz got further and further away from the room. She came to what seemed to once be a front desk. She turned the corner, then turned back to the desk to find a woman sitting behind it.

"Hello?"

No response.

"I'm looking for my way home."

No response.

"Can you help me?"

No response.

Liz heard rustling from down the hallway behind her. She turned to see if anyone would be standing there but there was nothing. "Look, I need help," she said turning around. The woman was gone. Liz looked around, seeing if she could find her, but had no luck. She slowly made her way down to where the noise came from, staying close to the wall as she walked. She turned back when she heard the familiar sound of Kali walking towards her. She ran down the hallway, searching frantically for an open room. She found one and quickly placed herself behind an old chair in the corner. The footsteps got closer and closer, until finally, they stopped. Liz heard Kali snickering to herself as she turned and walked into the room Liz was in.

"Little Elizabeth. How naïve." Liz knelt down further into a small ball, constraining her breathing. "Look, we aren't here to hurt you."

She slowly stood from her position to see the fearsome Kali standing in front of the chair. "What are you gonna do to me, then?"

"Train you. Teach you to use your ability like you never would've been able to before."

"I want Derek," she cowardly said.

Kali laughed. "Derek can't help you but we can. We can put your ability to tests that Derek wouldn't even dare trying. Plus, he doesn't care about you." Liz raised her eyebrow, questioning Kali's statement. "Derek hasn't cared for anyone since his family died. Never has and never will again."

Liz paused for a minute to think. "What about my family? School? Friends?"

"We will send you to school and home everyday but at night you are required to report here," Kali demanded.

"I don't even know where 'here' is!!"

"It's--"

"The old Insane Asylum of Beacon Hills," Deucalion said, cutting off Kali as he entered the room.

'That explains why it looks terrible,' Liz thought.

"Why did you bring me here?"

"We wanted to know what you would see. This place has been abandoned for over 100 years, deary. No one has ever been inside and come back out," Deucalion told.

"So what? You wanted me to see some ghosts?"

"We wanted to see how well your talent has progressed."

"Well, I'm here. What am I supposed to do?"

"Dream. Visualize. Anything that will get your ability to work," Kali interluded. Deucalion glared at her.

"Then leave. Let me dream and once I wake, I'll tell you what, if anything, I dreamt of."

------

The sound of screams roared throughout the building. Liz walked down the corridor just as she did when she first woke. She passed patients in the hallways, many wearing straight jackets as they were wheeled away in a chair by many attendants. She approached the desk, where multiple people were standing.