Chapter 31: Ilea

As Liz laid on the ground, Derek held her body up in his arms. The sword had been removed yet every inch of her body was numb. She could hear her mothers sobs, but her vision was blurred. The only thing she could see clearly was Derek hovering right above her. Derek didn't cry, at least not in front of Liz, but this time was different.

"Don't you die on me, Liz." He lifted his head in the direction of her parents. "What was it made of?"

"What?" Liz heard Alistair's voice.

"The sword, dammit! What was it made of?"

"Mountain ash and Ilea."

"What is Ilea?"

"It's the only substance that can kill a Visionary."

Derek looked down at Liz then back up to him. "Will it kill her?"

"You took it out quickly but it's a strong, powerful substance. There is no cure for it. None that anyone has ever found."

Blood poured from the sides of Liz's mouth, making her look like she was a vampire who had just attacked someone. Derek tried to take her pain, but nothing worked. As she coughed up the red substance, she looked up at him. "Get me out of here."

Liz wasn't going to die here, not in the same place Aiden did. She was going to live.

Her brain went back and forth. 'You're going to die. No, Liz, you're going to live. You aren't strong enough. You are going to win. No you won't.'

Suddenly and without warning, her whole world went dark and everything was black.

--------

Liz sat up from a bed. She felt her stomach for the wound but there was nothing there. She scanned the room, looking for someone but couldn't see a thing, that is until, someone approached her.

"I see you're finally awake."

"Mom?" She jumped out of her bed, running to hug her. Liz hadn't seen her mom in what felt like an eternity. "But, mom, how? You're gone. You're dead. It's impossible."

"Liz, I--"

"No. Don't tell me." Tears bubbled in Liz's eyes before bursting and flowing down her cheeks. "I cant be. Mom, please."

She pulled her into a hug. "Liz, I am so sorry. I know it isn't easy, but I have something to show you. There's someone I want you to meet."

She led Liz down a long hallway of twists and turns. The hallway was dark and narrow. Nothing seemed real. She could see a tiny light at the end of the hallway. They got closer and closer until they finally hit a room. A younger guy, maybe around 30 years old or so, was sitting in it. Her mother brought her towards him, a smile on her face as joyful tears escaped her eyes.

"It's great to finally see you, Elizabeth. You're so grown up."

Liz looked to her mother, hoping for an answer on who the unknown man was. She said nothing. "Thank you, but can you tell me who you are?"

"Elizabeth, my name is Daier. I'm your dad."

Liz's heart sank while her stomach did a back flip.

"Finally," was all she said before hugging him tight. He began to cry, kissing her head repeatedly.

"Oh, my sweet, sweet Elizabeth. I've waited for this day. But unfortunately, the day has come so soon. What happened?" he asked.

"Mom. She didn't mean to. It just happened. I was protecting the person I loved. It was a sword made of mountain ash and I think she said Ilea."