Chapter 9.

Demi’s POV

I have never driven so fast in my life. I just want Paige to be okay; I can’t believe that I was so stupid to leave her in there for so long. I pull up in the Timberline Knoll’s parking lot and bolt out the car door. I fling Paige’s door open and pick the drousy girl up bridal style. The bandages are only just holding the blood in, and her head is all sticky with the red substance.

I carry Paige into the reception quickly, and shout for a nurses help. Before I know it, Angela is hopping down the corridor. She looks shocked and scared.

“What happened Demi?” Angela exclaims, pushing a free wheelchair to me. I sit Paige down in the chair and kiss her hand.

“I-I think she was beaten up!” I stutter, finally letting tears fall down my face.

“Okay Demi, stay calm for me! We’re going to get her fixed up! Do you mind waiting here for me?” Angela says calmly, trying to contain any panic in her voice.

“Wh-what? I need to go with her!” I retaliate, making Angela sigh.

“No Demi, if you want you can wait in Paige’s room, she’ll be fine. I promise.” The nurse says, starting to wheel my baby off down the hallway.

“Look after her please!” I exclaim, holding my face in my hands. 

After days of sitting at Paige’s side, I start to grow tired. I look over at her frail body, limp in the bed. It’s been 4 days already and Paige hasn't woken up. The nurses say that she’s in some kind of coma caused by a huge blood loss and to be honest, I’m kind of scared. I know that I’ve not know Paige for long, but I feel a bond growing between us. I couldn’t just leave her, not now anyway.

Paige’s POV

I flutter my droopy eyes open and try to remember where about I am. I see the familiar beach photograph on the wall opposite, and recall that I’m back at Timberline Knolls. I vaguely remember being brought here by Demi, and wheeled somewhere. After that, I have no idea.

My thoughts are interrupted a soft, quiet snore coming from somewhere around me. I prop myself onto my elbows and feel a throbbing at the back of my head. Wisps of blue hair distract me, and I look down at the end of the bed. Demi’s arms are leant on a pillow, and her head is propped up on them. I smile as I see her head turn to face me. Demi’s eyes are still closed, and her black mascara is all streaky down her cheeks. I sit up properly from my position and lean over to the sleeping beauty.

“Demi, wake up” I whisper, while gently poking her arm. I hear a soft grunt, as Demi turns away to face the other direction.

“Dem, it’s Paige, I’m okay.” I continue, but this time, I get a reply.

“Paige…” Demi whispers, turning back to me, while opening her eyes slightly. I smile widely, which makes Demi open her eyes completely.

“Baby girl!” Demi exclaims tiredly, whipping her head up quickly.

“Come here!” She laughs, wrapping her arms around me tightly. I giggle as she snuggles her head into my stiff neck.

“What happened Dem? I can’t really remember.” I say, pulling away from her.

“Right, while I tell you, let me cuddle.” Demi says cutely, standing up from her position.

I nod my head and scoot backwards to the headboard. She kicks off her boots and clambers in the bed beside me. Demi nudges me over so I scoot over in the bed to make room for her. I rest my head on her chest while she fiddles with my hair playfully.