Chapter 4.

Paige’s POV

“You’re probably wondering why I wanted to talk to you” Demi says, as we perch ourselves on a log, facing a scenic cliff.

“Yeah kinda, I don’t know why someone like you, would want to talk to someone like me.” I say, fiddling with my fingers like I always do.

I feel Demi put her hand on mine, so I look up to face her. She smiles at me gently; giving me a warm tingle inside for the 2nd time today. “Hey, I think you’re well cool!” Demi laughs, making me blush.

“Haha, sure” I laugh sarcastically, playfully hitting Demi on the arm.

“Angela, your nurse, was actually my nurse when I was treated here in 2011. She was telling me about you, and I realised that we’ve kinda been through the same things. So I guess I just wanted to talk to you.” Demi says, smiling widely at me.

I can’t actually believe someone like Demi Lovato wants to talk to me. ME. Paige Roscoe, a normal, 14 year old girl, who’s been a Lovatic ever since like Barney & Friends!

“Yeah, that’s cool.” I say, as Demi takes my hand in hers. “So, tell me about yourself.” Demi says, squeezing my hand gently.

“Well, I’ve been bullied ever since like 3rd Grade, then afterwards I got diagnosed with social anxiety. Then my mom died when I was 10 so I suffered with depression. Then I star-started” I choke on my last sentence; the entire recollection of memories flood back through my mind: the first time I was bullied, my mom’s funeral, the day I dropped out of school, the first time I cut and then visiting a therapist afterwards and then being diagnosed with bulimia.

Before I know it, tears are streaming down my face. I look down at the ground, and hope it will swallow me up. I feel Demi’s hand move up to my face, and wipe the tears off my cheeks. I look up to face her, and see she has a few tear drops on her face. She smiles warmly, taking my face in her hands.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked. I understand what you’re going through if it helps.” Demi whispers, as I look up at her beautiful face.

She pulls me into a hug, but after it’s over, she puts her arm over me and I lean my head on her chest. I am resisting the urge to itch my cuts which are turning to scabs. If Demi sees them, it’ll just upset her so I grip the sleeves of my hoodie tightly. Demi must’ve noticed my tense arms because she looks down at my wrists.

“Can I see them?” She asks, placing her hand on my sleeve and tugging at it lightly. I just nod, as I’m not able to get my words out and I can’t be bothered arguing with her.

Demi lifts the sleeve up and sees the sight I was trying to hide. A scarred, messy, ugly arm, full of slices; it’s that bad, that I can’t even look at it. As Demi lets out a small gasp, I just bury my head further into her shoulder.

“Don’t be ashamed babe, I’ve been through it.” Demi whispers, as she puts my sleeve back down and goes to play with my hair.

We sit like this for what seems like ages, until our sweet silence is interrupted by my phone beeping. I lift my head from Demi’s chest and take my phone from my pocket. I unlock the phone and see a text message from Auntie Christine. Is it really 5:30 already? The text message reads:

Paige, I’m in the cafeteria waiting for you. Where are you?

I take my other hand from Demi’s lap and text back:

Just took a walk in the forest, I’ll be there in a minute.

I sit up from Demi and she looks down at me with teary eyes.

“You okay Paige?” Demi says, sniffling slightly.

“Yeah, I’m supposed to be eating with my Auntie in the cafeteria, but I kinda forgot and I’m not hungry.” I say, which is the truth; I’m never hungry, but even if I am, I ignore it as I can’t get fat.

“Oh okay, I’ll walk you back to the site.” Demi says, hopping off the log. “Demi?” I say, hopping off beside her.

“Yeah baby girl?” Demi says, “Will you come with me to dinner? Only if you can though” I say, instantly regretting it; why would Demi stay with me?

“Of course I will, oh and I’m in Illinois for a little while, so of course I’m free.” Demi says, wrapping her arm around my shoulder.

“That’s good.” I say, making her giggle, I swing my arm around her waist and we stroll off back down the trail.