The Art of Courting- Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

Normally him touching her wouldn’t cause such a potent reaction, but it was finally March and the weather had gotten better. Much better. It was almost sixty-five degrees outside, and for early spring that was amazing. Therefore, she went as far as ditching her turtlenecks for a sleeveless shirt.

And because of that, his hand was seriously distracting her. Skin-on-skin contact was so much better than anything else. It was driving her insane.

“What do you think, Chels? Am I neglecting you?” May suddenly cried. Confused, Chelsea just stared at her.

“What?”

“Am I neglecting you?”

“I don’t know. Are you?” She was still puzzled. She couldn’t recall when she entered the conversation.

“No! I’m not!”

“Yes! She is!”

Both Jay and May said this at the same time.

“Okay. Don’t include me in this conversation, please.”

They went back to arguing while Chelsea checked her phone. Sadie had been texting her about how much her friends- her real friends, Abby and Whitney- liked her new necklace. Her sister’s birthday had been last week and Chelsea had bought her a diamond teardrop pendent with a white gold chain. For the weekend their dad was taking them to a resort in the Hudson Valley in celebration of all of their birthdays. He always took them somewhere new on during their birthdays.

“I give up!” Jay cried. “I seriously give up!”

“Yes!” The redhead fist pumped the air.

“Come on Chelly, we’re leaving!”

He stood and dragged her away from the table.

“Jay,” she snapped. “Jay stop it!”

“Shush!” he snapped back.

“Shush? Don’t you dare shush me Jay Derrick Frost!”

“I just did.”

By now they were in a deserted corridor. Chelsea ripped her hand from his and backed up against the lockers. She was furious. Sure, he had lost a fight with May that he probably should have won but that didn’t give him the right to drag her away from her lunch. The salad they offered at the cafeteria was high quality and she wanted to enjoy it!

“This is so un-”

“Shush!” Jay cried again and pressed her up against the wall. She finally noticed how agitated his face was. From what she observed, he hardly ever got angry. And usually it was over minor things that were forgotten in the span of ten minutes.

This time, though, she could tell he planned to keep a grudge.

“Calm down,” she whispered softly and ran her hand through his hair. His expression relaxed slightly. 

“How can you not be angry?”

“Why would I be angry?”

“She practically said that you were no fun to hang around! You’re heaps of fun!”

“Jay,” she sighed. “I didn’t hear her say that. Are you sure she did?”

“It was implied!”

Keeping her hand in his hair, Chelsea brought his face down to hers and planted a kiss on his lips. His arms immediately went around her waist and he sighed into the kiss. She held in a laugh. Jay was freakishly adorable sometimes.

“Okay,” she giggled against his lips. “That’s enough Lover Boy.”

What was he doing to her? She never giggled.