Chapter 20: The Eternal Queen

Celia watched as my eyes bore into the scene, jaw set. "I know, it's terrible. I still can't quite get used to the sight myself, though I look at the projections every day."

I watched as the boy slowly faded, turning back into golden light. There were a million thoughts running through my mind, but I couldn't make sense of any. I didn't know what to think. I only knew what I felt, and that was disgust.

"This isn't what I wanted to show you," Celia admitted. "I wanted to teach you more about yourself. That will help you learn to control your powers." She waved her hand through the golden projection, dissipating it into tiny wisps.

"Why are you helping me, Celia?" I asked, staring into space. "I don't understand why you're going out of your way to show me around like this."

"I was chosen to teach you how to use your powers," Celia admitted. "I remember what it was like for me without guidance. I grew up without a mentor, and it was hard. Figuring things out on your own is fine, but it won't help you improve. I didn't learn how to be a Charmer until Queen Zara took me under her wing."

So, Celia had a close connection to the Queen. Maybe she could help me get an audience with her, at least long enough to ask for help finding my uncle.

"You were chosen by the Queen," I confirmed, to which Celia nodded. "What does she want with me?"

"It's better if I just show you that," Celia said, leading me out of the projection room and into a small, cramped hallway. "I think it's through here, but I could be wrong. I'm still mapping out this place myself."

The whole lower level of the library felt like a tunnel system, so I could understand why. At least the walk through the hallway was short, as it simply connected to a much bigger room, easily the size of the main atrium upstairs.

Much like the previous room that held nothing more than a golden projection, the room was oddly empty. The walls were black with golden trim, the floors a mosaic of gold tiles that swirled around the center of the room in an intricate spiral.

Celia walked to the very center of the room, where the brightest tiles glinted, and closed her eyes.

When she opened them, her purple irises started to emit their own strange glow. She lifted her hands, triggering some kind of reaction in the room. The floor started shifting, sinking down and moving back, making room for gold pillars to rise.

As I watched, the gold melted to make way for faces and bodies, revealing countless women in flowing dresses and armor.

"This is simply a replica of the real thing, but it should do. Walk around and tell me if you see anyone that looks or feels important. I want you to come to the realization on your own," Celia instructed, crossing her arms and leaning back into the wall. I didn't see her move, the action so quick it was like she teleported across the room.

I circled the statues, staring into the eyes of women with permanent glares and smiles on their faces. There were ones that wore the thick armor of soldiers, and others wearing slips of dresses that fell to their ankles. I didn't know who it was that I was supposed to be looking for, until I stopped in front of a woman with long curly hair and a hint of mirth in her eyes.

She wore a scarf on her forehead like a headband, with tiny hourglasses dangling from her ears. She looked about ready to laugh, but unable to do so, because she was forever suspended in time.

"Good, Zekara. Very good," Celia praised, stepping up to the statue abruptly. I tried not to flinch from her speed, keeping my eyes straight ahead. "You've found the Eternal Queen." 

"The Eternal Queen?" I echoed, staring at the woman's cherubic features. "She looks like a teenager."

"Well, that's because she doesn't age. Queen Aurelia was the third ruler of Tenebris, and the first Chronos Shade in existence. She was the only shadow capable of moving through time," she explained, regarding the statue with what could only be called awe. Then Celia turned her determined gaze on me and said, "Until now."