Chapter 11: An Unwelcome Reunion

Her dark brown hair cascaded down her shoulders in loose waves. I definitely got my hair volume from her, although my curls were a lot thicker. Her sepia skin was unblemished by acne or scars, somehow managing to glow without the help of makeup. She had sharp features and unwavering eyes, making her seem superior even in blue sweatpants. 

She sauntered up to the steel-eyed man and clamped a hand on his shoulder. "Victor, this is my family. Of course, they're allowed to see me. I don't want to see you threatening them again." 

The man nodded, his eyes glinting silver before he disappeared into the back office. Mom turned toward us appraisingly. "Why don't we sit?" She asked, directing us towards the visitor's sofas in the open area. 

My uncle went and sat down on the innermost sofa, making himself comfortable while my mother sat next to him. I sat on the edge of the opposite couch, holding weight on the tips of my feet like I would spring up and run any second. Mom let out a tinkling laugh.

"That's my daughter; always cautious." She paused before adding, "Being cautious is a good thing. You should keep that."

What she didn't know is that I learned to be cautious because of her. From a young age, I would sit back and watch her, not saying a word until she said one first. She always had something to say, and her words could set me on edge if I wasn't prepared. 

"What brought on this visit today?" Mom asked, leaning into my uncle like a loving sibling. I knew it was just an act. She made that clear five years ago when she tried to kill me after Dad died. She didn't love anyone but him. 

"We just wanted to see how you were doing," Uncle Ethan supplied, giving me a look. I occupied myself by watching orange fish swim around the neon blue fish tank in the corner. 

"You know, I find it interesting that this place is only twenty minutes away from the house, and yet it took you two months to visit me again." She said in a jokingly displeased tone. Underneath that pretense, her words were a mild threat. 

"Selene, we have busy schedules," Uncle Ethan tried to explain, but she cut him off with a look.

"So busy that you can't visit me more than a couple times a year?" She asked, feigning ignorance. "I'm starting to think you don't want to see me."

"Well, why would you think that?" I muttered with the utmost sarcasm. 

My mom clapped her hands abruptly, startling me. "She speaks! Come here Zekara; you're too far away." 

I started to say there was no way in hell I was moving closer, but I saw my uncle's face and sighed. He had the ability to guilt-trip me with a single look. I knew what he would say; that she was my mother, no matter how twisted and vindictive she was. She had given birth to me. 

I stood up, treading over to the blue love seat as if there were weights chained to my ankles. I perched on the edge of the couch, making sure there was enough space between us that she couldn't wring my neck without effort. Up close, she smelled just like she always had, like dryer sheets and fresh linen. It made me want to snuggle up against her like I had when I was little. But that couldn't happen, because she was not the same woman and I was not the same little girl. Things would never be the same again.

My uncle sat to the left of us on the opposite couch, his legs stretched out in front of him. He crossed his arms, watching my mother with narrowed eyes. He and I both knew what was coming.

"I'm so glad to see my baby again," she said, wrapping her arm around me tightly. I felt suffocated, my breaths coming out in short bursts. My eyes cut into her, but I couldn't find the courage to say anything. Suddenly I was twelve again, and helpless to the cruel whims of my mother.