Bittersweet: Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

"What in the hell is this?" I asked, as I took in the layers of blankets laid out. Plus, there were a few pillows thrown here and there. "Where did all of this come from? Do I even want to know?"

I jumped onto the tailgate and then turned to give her a hand up as well. When she jumped up, she shrugged. "I keep the supplies in the toolbox. Don't you worry, Austin Burkhalter, everything is clean. It's just..." She said, hesitating for a moment. "I like to come out here and look at the sky. That's why I like to keep all of this on hand. It's the perfect place because it's so dark and you can see the stars so easily."

Finally, I sat down in the tailgate, and she followed me down. "This wasn't really my thoughts on breaking the rules. I thought for sure when you told me to take that left that we were going to do something to get our asses in trouble." I said, chuckling.

Eliza giggled as she her head down on one of the small pillows. "We won't get in trouble. I'm sure daddy was asleep before you even left to pick me up." She murmured, as she turned her head straight up to the sky. She took a deep breath and smiled, "Isn't it beautiful out here?"

I finally leaned back with her and looked up. She was right. I could see every single star from where I laid, and it was different. I had never been able to do this in the city; it wasn't even possible because of all the lights. But this...This was astounding. The night was nice-it wasn't too hot. And it was so dark out-the only light was coming from the full moon and stars in the sky.

"Yeah, it's amazing." I finally replied.

I wasn't sure how long we lay there, side by side but honestly, it didn't matter. The silence was so very welcoming and for the first time in, I don't even know how long, I felt utterly relaxed.

God, it felt good.

Eliza was turned towards me on her side, watching me as I looked up at the sky. She was right-I had never seen something so...Flawless. When I finally looked over at her, I was curious. She had something on her mind. It had been there all night long. "What are you thinking about? How was the party?"

"Will you have sex with me?" She asked immediately as if she'd lose the nerve otherwise.

My teeth gnaw together. My head jerks towards her and for a second, I look at her like she's lost her damn mind. Shit. Maybe I misheard her. Yeah, that's what I'm going with.

"Come again?"

Eliza leans up onto her elbows and turns towards me. Even in the darkness, I can see the blush tint on her soft cheeks. "Have sex with me." This time, she said it with more confidence in her voice.

"How much did you drink at that party, huh?" I ask, cautiously.

I had to ask. For one, I was surprised as hell at her sudden bravery. Two, I wasn't down for fucking drunk chicks. Been there, done that. Drunk fucking was never what it was cracked up to be.

Her expression softens a bit, "I'm not drunk if that's what you're insinuating."

I clear my throat, trying my best to get rid of the lump forming there. "Why?"

She sucks in a deep breath, "Because I don't want to be innocent anymore. People tend to think that just because my hymen is still intact that I'm...I'm a fragile child and I'm not." She pauses for a moment and shakes her head, "At least, I don't want to be."

I watch her closely as she nervously fidgets beside me. She pushes up onto her bottom and crosses her legs underneath her. She looks so damn sweet there-with her long blonde locks falling naturally around her bare shoulders and her skin becoming pinker with each passing second.