Chapter 34: Means to an End

Happy reading everybody! I hope you enjoy. If you do, please let me know by voting and commenting and be sure to follow me on Instagram @slowridebook 

Song for this chapter: Sweet Creature by Harry Styles 

~Knox~

Getting to Wisconsin felt like damn mission impossible. Driving would take too long and flying always made me a little antsy, but we didn't have the luxury of wasting two days time just to get there. Tweaker and I decided flying out was our best bet, even though we both faced extra screening and weird looks because of our records. When we finally landed at the airport and picked up a rental car, we were lucky that Rig's sister's place in Janesville was only a twenty-minute drive away.

Tweaker was texting away on his phone while I drove, but I was glad it seemed to be keeping him entertained after having to listen to his ass talk non-stop the whole plane ride over. But with Tweaker, the silence only lasted so long. 

"So how'd you know Rig's sister lives out here?" he asked, tearing his eyes away from his cell-phone much sooner than I would have preferred.

I was quick to put the pieces together when Nora had mentioned Rig's sister, only because I remembered the kind of relationship they had. It then began to make sense to me that Rigs would be able to rope Erin into helping him do something as stupid as ripping off the Tribe.

I shrugged. "Rigs convinced me to come up here with him once to meet her," I said.

Before all the shit between me and him had gone down, there was a point when we were actually friends. He and Nora had just gotten together and he thought I would be the perfect match for his little sister. I obliged and agreed to meet her, but quickly came to realize she was just as fucked up as he was.

Tweaker smirked. "You and Rigs's sister had a thing? How did I not know about this? And how does Ronnie feel about this?" My best friend asked with way too much amusement, before going back to texting.

I rolled my eyes. "We hooked up once and then I found out she was a crazy bitch and I haven't spoken to her since."

"So Ronnie doesn't know about her?" Tweaker inferred.

"No, Ronnie doesn't know. Why would I tell Ronnie about her?"

Although Ronnie had asked for details, I didn't avoid the topic because the "lead" I was going to follow just so happened to be a woman I'd slept with. I choose to keep the information from her because it wasn't a need to know, and I had a feeling that Ronnie would be better off knowing as little information as possible.

"You still gonna deny that there's something going on between you two? Really?" My best friend asked, shaking his head.

"I'm not denying anything," I said, holding up my hands. "I'm just saying that Ronnie doesn't need to know about everything, whether she and I are together or not."

"Whatever, man," Tweaker said, smiling down at his phone as he continued to text away.

I took one hand off the wheel to pull his phone from his grip. "Who the hell has you all smiley?" I teased, looking at the screen to find out for myself.

"Fuck off, man," Tweaker fought back, grabbing his phone back before I could see who he was texting.

"Does this have to do with why I had to pick you up from lockup last week?" I questioned.

Tweaker had called me early as shit a few days ago, needing a ride from the county jail after being picked up for getting in a bar fight. Not only did I find it odd that he was at a bar other than Black's, but my best friend offered no explanation even though I had dragged my ass out of bed to pick him up.