New School, New Frenemies

Because we failed at retrieving the wand, we had to go to our new classes. Of course, the five of us were in a class by ourselves. The class was called Remedial Goodness 101, taught by Fairy Godmother. I'm guessing they wanted us to learn how to be good since we were raised by villains. The class was super boring, and nothing made sense. I would rather be in my old classes at Dragon Hall like Selfishness 101 with Mother Gothel or Evil Schemes and Nasty Plots with Lady Tremaine.

I sat at the edge of desk with Mal and Evie, and the boys sat at another. Fairy Godmother had written some practice problems on the chalkboard. She began to read the questions it. "If someone hands you a crying baby, do you, A, curse it? B, lock it in a tower? C, give it a bottle? Or D, carve out its heart." I shook my head at the third option. You wouldn't give a baby a bottle, right? Evie raised her hand high as Fairy Godmother finished. "Evie."

"What was the second one?" Evie asked. I knew Evie was playing dumb; she's actually very smart.

"Oh, okay. Anyone else?" Fairy Godmother asked, looking around. Jay, Carlos, and I looked at each other as neither of us didn't know what to say. "Mal?"

"C, give it a bottle," Mal answered.

"Correct, again," Fairy Godmother said. That was the fifth question in a row that Mal had gotten right.

"You are on fire, girl," Carlos said.

"Just pick the one that doesn't sound like any fun," Mal responded.

Suddenly, everything seemed to fall into place in my brain. "Oh," I said as puzzle pieces were being put into place in my mind.

"That makes so much sense," Evie whispered.

Suddenly, a timid girl with brown hair wearing a light blue dress walked passed us. As she passed our desks, she squealed and picked up her speed. "Oh, hello dear one," Fairy Godmother said bending down to the young girl. Mal nudged Evie, who was playing with her hair. All of us brought our attention to the shy girl.

"Hi," the girl said softly. "You need to sign off on an early release for the coronation," she said while looking at us nervously. She must not have been comfortable being in the same room with us. I mean, I couldn't blame her.

"Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?" Fairy Godmother said.

"Mom, no!" Jane said.

"It's okay. Jane this is everyone," she said while turning Jane to face us.

"Hi," Jane said with a small wave. I gave her a tiny wave as well. I'm trying to be nice, okay. "It's okay, don't mind me. As you were." Jane then ran out of the room the same way she came in.

"Ahem, let's continue," Fairy Godmother said, getting back on topic. "If you find a vial of poison, do you, A, put it in the king's wine? B, paint it on an apple? Or C, turn it over to the proper authorities?" The girls and I giggled as the second option was referring to Evie's mother. After Fairy Godmother finished, all of our hands shot up in the air. Well, all of ours, except for Mal's; she was off in her own little world at the moment. Carlos and Jay were practically fighting to get called on. "Jay."

"C, you turn it over to the proper authorities," Jay said proudly while using Mal's advice.

"I was gonna say that," Carlos said defeated.

"But I said it first," Jay bragged. "Come here!" Suddenly the boys were wrestling on the table. I wanted to stop them, but I just let it slide. Evie was fixing her lipstick in her magic mirror, and Mal was drawing something.

"Boys, boys!" Fairy Godmother said, getting their attention. "I am going to encourage you to use that energy on the tourney field," she said, pointing to the field outside.