Steve: Chapter 13

Bucky woke up groggy and to the noise of alarms and sirens on the radio. He had spent the night at Steve's place and he looked up and saw Steve with a worried look. He lifted his body upwards.
What's goin' on pal? He asked.
Steve turned up the radio and pointed to it.
"Breaking News coming right here from the New York NBC news station! A live attack has happened in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. This day will go on in history... stay tuned for updates."
Steve turned the switch the radio off.
"What the hell... pinch me! This can't be real...," Bucky said. "I'm not sure what's gonna happen, but I better get down to the Army and Navy quarters downtown to see what's goin' on. I'll be back."
Steve grabbed Bucky's arm. His hand couldn't even fit around it, it was so scrawny. He pulled a muscle just grabbing him.
"Aren't you kinda in the heat of the moment? Come on, I'll come with you, Buck." Bucky looked at Steve with a confused look.
"First off, I'm just going there to check out what's going on, second, I will not let you step foot in that place as long as you live. You're not going anywhere." Bucky walked out and slammed the apartment door.
One hour later.
Steve looked up from his book and stood up nervously as he saw Bucky enter through the front door. Bucky began to speak.
"I'm still not sure what's going on, they didn't tell me much other than that Roosevelt already knew what was happening. No shit he knows what's happening, he's not an idiot!" He sat down at the circular dinner table where Steve was. Steve sat down again.
"You have the day off tomorrow, right?" Bucky looked up.
"Yeah."
"Just stay here another night, I think you won't be as stressed.
"Alright."
23 hours later.
This time around, Bucky was the one waking Steve up. He climbed on top of Steve and shook him up. Steve woke up with confusion and turned bright pink. "Why are you on top of me...?"
"Oh, whoops." Bucky climbed off of him and told him that FDR was about to perform his speech. They both ran to the kitchen and turned up the radio until it couldn't anymore.
They heard the president clear his voice.
"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, members of the Senate of the House Of  Representatives, yesterday, December 7th, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, The United States Of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by the naval and air forces of the empire of Japan..." they listened to the rest of the speech, lasting about five minutes, but feeling like hours. Bucky stood up, "I got a date later today, this god forsaken war isn't gonna stop me from going out to dinner." He started to walk out. "I'll see you around pal, thanks for having me over." He shut the door and left. Steve immediately stood up and took a shower and got ready to leave his apartment. He was going down to the Army and Navy building downtown.
A few days later
"What do ya mean you enlisted!?" Bucky shouted. Steve cowered down on the couch.
"It's not like I made it in..."
"God forbid you actually did, you could've been killed! Why do you do this to me, you nearly give me heart attacks every other day!" Steve had never seen Bucky like this before, he had scolded him for getting in fights, and sure, he got upset, but it blew over. This however, was five times worse. Bucky was infuriated, he looked like a fuse had just blown out in him. He sat down to calm down and collect his thoughts. Bucky let out some muffled words, "This is madness, Steve, it really is. Why would you do this? There are so many other important jobs to do during a war, why try to pick this one?" Steve stood up and yelled.
"I got no less right in this country to fight for it than any other guy! I can make my own choices, Buck!" Bucky looked up.
"Can't you just stop trying to prove yourself, Steve? You've already proven yourself to me."