Chapter 8

Have you had that feeling when you want to be happy but somehow a lump is formed in your throat and all you do is spit out whatever happiness that seems to cloud your mind?

Well that's how I felt after Paul had confessed to me. I should be happy that mum has finally moved on. I mean after so many years of sulking over dad. But why do i it feel it's wrong? Why I'm I too scared for her? It's even scarier than seeing Melvin walk past me without a single Hi or Hello as though we were strangers. I tried reaching out for him but I stopped in my track when caramel hugged him and they both walked away.

I held in the tears that threatened to fall. Today was already going as badly than I had expected. What more could go wrong?

"Ah ha!" Oliver shouted behind me with the intention of scaring me.

"What was that for?" I wasn't a bit moved. What could be scarier than the breakfast news I heard today?

"You didn't even move. So stiff as a tree." Oliver teased as we walked.

"I don't think anything could be scarier than my life already. Nothing can beat my situation now."

Oliver and I walked side by side heading to class. He didn't say anything further and to be frank I was grateful for that. I wasn't in the mood to converse.

"Have you spoken to Melvin?" my heart hurt as he said that name.

"Nope. He's still angry at me."

"So how're we suppose to prepare for the Spanish class presentation? We're already a week down." Oliver asked with a serious tone.

"I thought you weren't the class boy." I said.

"Not when dad has gotten involved with your grades."

"Your dad knows about your class-ditch attitude?"

"Was grounded the whole weekend. He said if I don't make an accepted grade this session, I'll be off to live with my grand mother. And believe no  can stand her." I laughed.

"Serves you right."

"Whatever. So right now, we have to get down with business. I can't afford to bounce this presentation." I gave him the hard stare. "Okay we. We need to meet with Melvin and begin rehearsals. I saw some other group. They've done a pretty good job so far." I didn't say a word as he kept talking. I haven't told him of Melvin's decision to leave our group. "Oh great! See Melvin over there. Let's go to him." Oliver said.

"No let's not." I tried stopping him.

"But why? He's right there. Okay if it's because of that caramel witch or his friends never mind, I'm sure Melvin will be cool with us. I mean he defended me before. So let's go." He grabbed unto my hand and tried pulling me along.

"No Oliver. I can't, we can't go to him." I said.

"Why Leah? He's our partner. We can't rehearse without him. Or are you thinking of cutting him off the group Miss your royal highness leader Leah?" he joked.

"I'm not cutting him off Oliver. It's just that-" I held my words taking a long breath.

"That what?"

"He already left the group."

Though caramel and I haven't exchanged words for a long time, I could still feel her hate just by looking at her. I bet she must be happy. i'm sure Melvin must have told her about his decision to leave.