IX

Saturday, December 7

I have waited so long to hear his voice. Fuck, I've imagined it, hallucinated it even... So why am I freaking out? I have no idea. It might have something to do with the fact that I probably should've worn more deodorant, my hair has to resemble a birds nest, and he's here.

Not to mention my wings are threatening to shoot out at any second.

Aw, fuck.

How long has he been standing there? Did he watch me kill that demon? Fuck, what if he already saw my wings... Will he say something about it?—

"What a pleasure to see you again."

I pull myself from my never-ending line of questions and focus on the man in front of me. The smile has gone from his lips but he gives nothing away as he watches me. I decide to play along.

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Styles."

The corner of his lip twitches but that's it and the space between us fills with tension. He takes a step towards me and stops, pulling his hands from his pockets.

"You've been in Seattle for weeks."

It's not a question.

"Yes."

How does he know? The Hunters have been careful to conceal my presence in Seattle. I'm only sent out on kill-strikes and my team has protocols regarding hiding any signs of me. And because Beau is the leader, he is very thorough. Very.

I can't sense anger on Harry though, and that freaks me out more than anything. He actually seems... distant. Like he's here, staring at me, but his mind is somewhere else all together. I prefer his anger to this. Anything other than this air of... indifference.

"You're different."

"You knew I would be."

My voice is strained as I struggle to keep my wings in check and I shift uncomfortably. That doesn't escape his notice and he raises a brow at me, tilting his head slightly.

"You're nervous."

I click my tongue in frustration.

"Can we stop stating facts about me. How did you find me?"

I have to know. It's eating at me. Beau is always so careful...

"I will always find you."

"There you go stating facts again." The air rushes from my lungs and I plead with my eyes. "Please Harry, I need to know."

His eyes narrow and I can tell by the hard set of his jaw that he is fighting to keep calm.

"It's none of your business and not the important topic right now. Why the fuck have you been hiding from me?"

The strain from keeping my wings in is exhausting and I know if I start an argument with him I won't be able to hold them in... So I let the topic slide for now but this conversation isn't over and I will figure it out.

"I didn't have a choice."

I blink and Harry slams into me, pushing me roughly against the wall. The length of his hard body covers mine and... it's just as I remembered it, better even. It's like Paradise and my fingers ache to tangle themselves into his hair. I resist though and instead ball them into fists at my sides.

The fire in his eyes burns through me and I can't help but relish at the familiarity of it all. Me pressed against the wall, Harry angry and in my face— I hope this conversation ends like the others did... Particularly with our clothes off and his body covering mine— His expression suddenly shifts and his brows come together in calculation.