Chapter 14

Chapter 14 

You hear about it all the time, see it in movies or read it in books. Teens and their drama. One break up and their entire world falls apart. A week ago I laughed at the thought, yet here I was, lying in bed with tears stained on my cheeks. I'd hardly slept, but the sun had risen and for some reason, it woke me up with it daily.  

I sat up in my bed, feeling groggy and emotionally spent. It sucks when painful things happen, but the day after they happen is always worse. You had to talk things through, fix them. Not me, not today. I needed a distraction, and that distraction presented itself to me in the form of a phone call. Jeremy. 

"He-hello," I answered, giving away my fatigue.  

"Hey, you weren't sleeping, were you?"  

"No, you know me. Up with the sun." 

"Yeah, I figured as much. So, what are your plans for the day?" he asked. I thought about it, though I didn't really need to, I never had plans. 

"Nothing. I was thinking about maybe going to see Andy and my mom, but that's it. Why?" 

"Cool, I'll come get you in an hour." Then he hung up, without giving me a chance to reply. I guess I had plans, with Jeremy no less.  

I put the phone down and began getting ready. I poke my head out my door, it was clear so I went and took a shower quickly. After my shower I threw on straight legged jeans, a Belle & Sebastian shirt, and Vans. I let my hair dry naturally, ensuring the craziest of curls by the days' end, but I didn't care. When I was done it was near time for Jeremy to pick me up. I looked into the living room where Nick was still sleeping. I tiptoed quietly through the living room and out the door. The last thing I wanted was to see him, or hear his voice. 

Jeremy was pulling up as I made my way down the stairs. He was driving his Prius, a golden boy through and through. He parked in front of my building, then got out to greet me. Never one to come empty handed he presented the warmest of gifts, his bright, comforting, and thoroughly distracting smile. 

"Hey," he said nonchalantly. I smiled in reply. "You ready?" 

"Yep. Where are we going?" I asked as we got into the car. 

"Well, I thought we could just hang out today, then if you didn't mind we could go see Andy at the hospital. How does that sound?" 

"That sounds nice, but it's still pretty early. What do you want to do?" I asked. 

"Well, considering we have all day I was thinking about heading to the beach, like we used to. Remember?" he asked. More than his words were asking. His face was asking, more begging for me to say that I did. 

"Of course, how could I forget?" I replied with a smile. He smiled back before turning on the engine and making his way to the street.  

I rolled my window down slightly. It was a beautiful day, something Washington didn't provide enough of, especially in the summertime. We drove in the direction of the school, which wasn't far from the freeway entrance we needed to take. Months ago this route meant nothing more to me than a means of getting to school. Now, with every tree and sidewalk slab I saw memories. I saw a pathetically happy me holding hands with the boy I thought felt the same. Once again I found myself embarrassed by my own stupidity. That's the thing about mistakes, though. We learn from them. I wouldn't let myself be that blissfully ignorant again. 

Jeremy didn't say much on the drive. He was always there when you needed him, but he also knew when you needed an escape. I had been more open with him yesterday than I had been with anyone in years. I was just glad he still wanted to be around me. I was grateful to have him.