Chapter 2

Chapter 2

School passed as slowly as it usually did. With no one to talk to it felt like the days went on forever. As sad as it sounded, I half wished the days were longer. Being at home with my brother and his friends was almost worse than being at school. 

Throughout the day the clouds had separated, allowing more sunshine through. The air was warmer than the morning and more humid as well. I sauntered through the parking lot of the apartment complex where I lived. It wasn't the nicest place, but it was safer than a lot of the others in the area.  

I looked up after five minutes of walking through apartment buildings. 205, that was mine. Second floor of Building 2. I heard the bumping of loud music as I got closer. I also noticed that my mother's car wasn't in her spot, which meant my brother and his friends were probably drinking and smoking in the living room. This also meant I would spend my night locked in my room praying for a second of peace and quiet that would only come when we got a call my mom was on her way home from work. 

She was a paralegal for a private firm, and she worked long hours. Being a single mom meant that she needed the hours and worked all the time. She depended on me to get stuff done while she was busy. Running errands and cleaning would be easier if I didn't have to pick up after a group of teenage boys with no manners.  

I walked up the stairs. I didn't bother taking out my keys as my brother rarely locked the door. I turned the handle and walked in. At least seven pairs of eyes were on me instantly followed by sighs and boo's of disappointment. I had to guess that they were expecting someone who wasn't me. 

I locked eyes with my brother. His gaze was empty except for the pink in what was supposed to be the whites of his eyes. He stood up as I made my way to the fridge to get a glass of water. He approached me. 

"Hey," he said. He was definitely high. "Can you cook us some food or something?" 

"Are you serious?" I asked dryly. He obviously didn't take the hint and opened a cupboard and pulled out two boxes of macaroni and cheese. 

"Here, make it. We're hungry." 

"You're kidding me right?" I pleaded. "After what happened at school this morning you're really going to ask me to cook for you and your stoner friends?" 

"I said I was sorry," he replied. I didn't answer, I only stared at him, brows furrowed hoping he'd take the hint. I wanted to be left alone. "Fine, don't. You crazy bitch."  

His words stung, like they always did. He could call me anything any day of the week, and I wouldn't pay any heed. However, calling me crazy hurt. He knew it did.  

At first I thought he felt bad for what he'd said, like he regretted the words. Then he looked to his friends who had heard everything, and he laughed. He was supposed to be on my side. He was there, he knew why I was this way. He was the one person I should have been able to count on, but drugs took that away. 

I wasn't in the mood for this so I grabbed my water and an apple from the fruit bowl on the counter and brushed past him. On the way to my room I felt the gazes of Andy and his friends. They thought about me the same way everyone else did. I was a freak. I walked through the hall, out of their sight and immediately heard the group break into laughter. I wanted to cry, but I was stronger than that. I had to be.  

I opened my door, collapsing on the floor the moment I stepped in. I sat against the open door and tilted my head back. I took deep breaths trying to quell the tears that were trying to break free. I brought my legs up, burying my face in my knees, forcing myself not to cry.