chapter twenty-four*

As the wide group of actors and actresses entered the restaurant, they covered the girl's eyes, causing her to furthermore shake in excitement and a bit of anxiety.

"Stop shaking babe," she heard KJ chuckle behind her, making her giggle and mutter a 'sorry'.

Once KJ's hands left her vision, her eyes focused in on the person standing across the room. She broke out in a gasp and then smiled excitedly.

"You did not! Lucas Jade Zumann do not tell me you flew over here for my birthday!"

She exclaimed, striding towards him and eventually jumping into his arms for a hug.

"No, I did not," he laughed, pulling away and taking something out of his coat. He handed her an envelope and she stared down at it in confusion.

"For you. Open it," he encouraged, causing her to grin and nod in agreement.

Her hands tore open the white envelope, and she quickly took out the piece of paper- gasping in shock.

One ticket to Chicago, first class.

"Who the fuck got me first class?!"
Cole raised his hand and she quickly pointed at him.

"You're my favorite, but holy shit!"
She exclaimed, as Lucas laid his arm over one of her shoulders, using it as an arm rest.

The group of her friends laughed but silenced soon consumed them before Cole piped up.

"Wait, I wasn't your favorite before?"

-

By the end of the night, Lucas sat on the rug on her wooden floor, sipping hot chocolate and helping her pack, well, mostly just keeping her company.

"We are definitely visiting the Willis Tower," he told her, as she paced back and forth from her closet to her suitcase.

"Yes! I've always wanted to go!"

She threw some clothes into the suitcase, telling herself that she'd fold it later, but Lucas sighed, taking the opportunity to do it for her.

"Yeah, I still can't believe you've never been to Chicago."

Miranda laughed, turning back to look at him as she asked,

"And why's that?"

Lucas scratched the back of his head and then let his hands fall back to his sides.

"Well I don't know... You have had so many opportunities to go and you travel a lot," he shrugged, taking another sip of his hot chocolate.

"Hm I guess that's true, but I mostly like to travel outside of the USA," she explained, frowning for no certain reason.

"So out of the places you've traveled, which one has been your favorite?" He asked, playing with his fingers to keep him from staring at her- something he unconsciously (and sometimes consciously) did from time to time.

Miranda sat down next to him and turned to face him.

"I don't know. Maybe China or Ireland," she told him, leaning into him and looking down at the rug they sat on.

"Why?"

"China, because of the food and the history," She explained, before taking a moment and thinking deeply before continuing. "And Ireland because of the coast and how much my mom liked it. She spent her summers as a teenager there and then I did too."

He looked at the girl who's head now laid on his shoulder.

"Your mom, is she...?"

Miranda nodded, looking at the floor as if in spacing out.

"What happened?"

She frowned.

"It was a robbery at a family owned diner she worked at in New York, she tried to get some kids out and she got killed doing it."

"How old were you?"

"Nine or eight, I can't really remember, but I have some memories of her that are hardwired into my brain," Miranda chuckled. "But even so- sometimes I question if they're even real."

"What do you want your first kid's name to be?"

Miranda laughed and removed herself from his shoulder.

"What? Why would you ask me that?"

Lucas froze before he shifted up on the rug, as he had been slumped down before. He smiled.

"I'm curious."

The girl laughed again, something he didn't mind at all. Lucas loved to hear the sound of happiness erupting from her throat.

"If it's a boy, which I want first, I want to name him William, you know Will for short," Miranda smiled, looking down and picking at the rug. "Then I want a girl. I'd want to name her Alina, then another boy who'd I want to name Teddy."

"Those are wonderful names, good job," he told her softly, rubbing her shoulder soothingly with his thumb.

"Thanks? You're the first person who's ever said that, but again it all really depends on what my husband wants because, well, you know," she explained, finally getting up and continuing to pick out her clothes.

Miranda then cleared her throat, and asked,

"What's the plan for tomorrow?"

"Well, wake up at ten, get to the airport by twelve, go through customs yeah yeah hop on the plane and get to Chicago in like what two hours?"

"Then?"

Lucas stood up and rubbed the back of his neck in thought.

"Well what do you want to do after?"

Miranda immediately spun around, clapping her hands together in excitement.
"The Willis Tower!"
"There's nothing interesting up there," he whined, leaning back and laying flat on her rug, his t-shirt rising up to reveal some bare skin her eyes couldn't help but wonder to, out of curiosity. Her hands immediately went to her phone and texted to the ONLY girls group chat.

[shadowbaddies gc😩🤤🐸☕️🖤]
GUYS IS IT CHEATING IF YOU LOOK AT ANOTHER GUYS ABS ON PURPOSE?

em: depends, it is if you sexualize it. Like get horny over it or if you're constantly looking at then

Miranda looked at Lucas' abdomen again and frowned.

Honestly I don't even know
I don't think I am????

pussykat: brb

Somebody immediately opened the door and Lucas sat up almost immediately. Kat looked in between the two and raised her eyebrows.
"Just wanted to say goodnight! Safe travels tomorrow!"
"You'll see us tomorrow morning?"
Kat looked at Lucas as if dumbly, and simply shook it off.
"Jesus just say goodnight back Lucas!"
Lucas laughed and said a small goodnight.
"Night Kat! Love you!"
"Love you too!" She responded to the youngest Latina in the apartment. Kat left and finally Miranda finished packing and sat down next to Lucas again.
"Good job."
They high-fived, making Miranda laugh.
"Thanks, now go to sleep," she demanded, shooing him away.
"Where?"
She pointed at the rather large white couch with fluffy pillows and a soft, still cold, comforter.
"It's basically my second bed," she explained, sitting on her main bed.
Once the lights were turned off and everyone was in their beds, Lucas and Miranda knew they had to go to bed. But they continued to talk for the rest of the night til they fell asleep.
And for the first time in a long time, Miranda slept peacefully and like there was no tomorrow.
And Lucas, realized that he was falling deeply and madly in love with the girl who didn't mean to text him, but did so anyways.

-

sorry this took so long!! also Chicago was amazing.
Also, you guys, comment your opinions!! Do you want this story to take a dramatic lane or a more unrealistic turn? Just comment whatever is on your mind!!
goodnight dudes!