New Rules (I Count 'Em)

He was incredible - eye the color of the summer sky and shaggy, brown hair that brushed his shoulders, and a mouth that always seemed so kissable and sweet... And oh, how I always wanted to kiss that mouth. It was against everything I knew to be right but it never felt wrong in the moment.

Talkin' in my sleep at night

I had even started to talk in my sleep about him.

Makin' myself crazy

It was making me go crazy, to be honest. He was all I ever thought about anymore.

(Out of my mind, out of my mind)

My dad, Abraham, was mad about the whole thing - not wanting me to get involved with the Grimes boy but here I was, head over heels for him.

Wrote it down and read it out

I'd written my feelings down in my diary but it didn't seem to help.

Hopin' it would save me

I had hoped it would push the feelings away...so I wouldn't think of him anymore.

(Too many times, too many times)

Who knows just how many times I'd written about him - in fact I had several diaries full of just things about him.

My love, he makes me feel like nobody else

Carl just made me feel...something that no one else ever had. It felt like bliss when I was with him.

Nobody else

Nobody else had ever made me feel that way. And never would.

But my love, he doesn't love me, so I tell myself

But even though I was in love with Carl...he wasn't in love with me. So I was trying my hardest to just stay away from him.

I tell myself

How well that was working out for me, I thought to myself with a roll of my eyes.

One, don't pick up the phone

I didn't greet him anymore when I saw him at parties Deanna would throw.

You know he's only calling 'cause he's drunk and alone

I knew he was only wanting to talk cause he was drunk and Enid had left him alone again.

Two, don't let him in

In fact, I didn't even allow him to come in my house at all.

You'll have to kick him out again

I'd just have to kick him out again in the morning anyway.

Three, don't be his friend

We used to be friends but I ended that the day I found out just how much of a player he was.

You know you're gonna wake up in his bed in the morning

But no matter what, I always woke up in his arms in the morning.

And if you're under him, you ain't getting over him

Glancing one last time back at his bare chest and sleeping face, I slipped quietly out of the Grimes house. I still wasn't over this boy.

I got new rules, I count 'em

A sigh escaped my mouth as I made my way down the street, the rays of the sun just coming up over the horizon behind me.