Waking Up With You

Fresh sunlight filtered into the tiny room, sprinkling onto the blanket in a spotty-pattern. I burrowed my head deeper into my pillow and I felt the warmth of Carl's breath brush against the back of my neck. He was snoring softly and his arm was wrapped around my waist. Smiling, I intertwined our fingers and pressed my back closer to his chest. I could feel the abs beneath his t-shirt and it made a blush rise to my cheeks. Strands of his shaggy brown hair tickled the skin of my bare shoulder that wasn't covered by my tank-top.

I always felt so safe when I was in his arms. Like the walkers, the world couldn't touch me. It had always given me a sense of peace ever since the first started sleeping in the same bed as me. At first, it was when it was just Rick, Michonne, Carl and I traveling together to Terminus when we slept in the forest. But after that, he still slept beside me. To keep you safe, he'd always said.

But I knew it was just because he liked being beside me. I wasn't complaining though. I loved being this close to him, too. I felt him shift in the bed just then and I turned over to face him. He yawned and slowly, blinked his cerulean-blue eyes open. I gazed into depths of them, those blue eyes that I knew I could drown in if I let myself.

My fingers reached up to caress his cheek, the warmth from his skin warming me up from the inside out.

"Morning, Carl," I whispered softly.

He was still half-asleep, I could tell but he smiled over at me anyway.

"Morning, Heather." he replied back, his husky morning voice sending shivers up my spine.

He took my hand in his and placed a feather-light kiss on my palm. When he let go, I slid my hand down to rest on his chest and with a smirk, he pulled me closer. I was flush against him now and I blushed furiously. In the still light of the morning then, his lips found mine. And just like always, his intoxicating kiss pulled all the air from my lungs, making me feel giddy and light-headed. I kissed him back instantly, the velvet-like softness of those plump lips gliding across mine.

His hand caressed my lower back gently, rubbing small circles into the material of my tank-top. When he finally pulled away, I was grinning widely. It was silent then between us but a comfortable silence. I stared into those beautiful blue eyes until finally, he spoke up.

"Come on, we have to get ready," he told me, pecking my lips once last time as he pulled away from me.

I pouted at the loss of warmth as he stood up and stretched, the hem of his t-shirt rising slightly to reveal a bit of skin. Blushing, I turned back over and got up as well. Carl made his way over to me then, wrapping his arms around my waist. Soft lips went to my neck briefly and I shivered at his touch.

"Why can't we just stay like this?" I whined, glancing up at his towering form above me.

He chuckled and pressed one last kiss to the nape of my neck before stepping over to the door.

"Because you promised to help Maggie with the garden, remember?" he teased, smirking.

I rolled my green eyes and pushed a strand of dirty blonde hair behind my ear.

"How could I forget?" I sighed as he walked off.

Suddenly, my eyes found his Sheriff's hat perched atop the bedpost.

"Carl! You forgot your-" I started to call out when he poked his head back inside.

"-hat, I know. Toss it to me?" he asked, giving me the puppy-dog eyes.

Giggling at him, I rolled my eyes before grabbing the hat and throwing it to him. He caught it deftly in his hands and slipped it on his head. He shot me a wink then right before slipping out the door once more. I rolled my eyes again. That boy would forget his head if it wasn't attached to his body.