Chapter 22: Da-Dums

Chapter 22: Da-Dums

1 month later…

There's something special about holding your children for the first time after they're born. It's like they are the most pure, sweet, and beautiful things you have ever laid your eyes on. Like they can do no wrong, they are just that perfect to you. Your whole world changes drastically even if you've already thought it had changed. Your life, your needs, suddenly isn’t important anymore. All that matters to you is the well being and happiness of your children. Those feelings aren't something you can hold, or touch. They are intangible. That's what makes them extremely special. Those feelings are what I felt when I held my twins in my arms.

It's been a whole month since they were born. They gained weight quickly, and their health was very well for being preemies. We put off the move to New Jersey of course, just until the twins were healthier and older. We had to unpack most of the baby things that Frank and I had already packed up. So, practically the only thing in Frank's apartment right now is a bunch of baby things.

 Everyone came to the hospital to see the twins the night they were born in the NICU. My mother was practically drooling over them. She's been over to Frank's apartment non-stop to help out. Everyone was so surprised to see I had given birth to a boy and a girl instead of two boys. Ray, Mikey, Gerard and Bob had all come over a few times since Riley and Ariana were taken here. Rae and Jen love these babies up when they're over, they can't keep their hands off of them, they have also been a huge help. Rae was saddened by the fact that she didn't get to throw me a baby shower because they were born three months early. But I reassured her that I’ll let her plan the twins’ first birthday.

Frank's mother swung by to see the babies as well; she is very pleased that Frank and I are moving to Jersey. She is a very down to earth, sweet woman. My gran and brother are coming over real soon, before we move, to see the babies. They are healthy, beautiful babies. I love being a mother to these little bundles of joy.

I looked down at Riley as he sat on my lap in a dark blue onesie. My hand cradled his head. The weather has been cooler, a sign of fall. Thoughts of a new season and my family flooded my mind. Jen saved up a lot of money from working at the floral shop over the summer, and is still dating Zack, which is very good. My gran’s health has been a slight issue though, and that scares me a bit. My mom is still working hard at her job, making an income. I’m actually quite eager to get working again myself. Mikey and Ray now have a special lady in their lives as well, Alicia and Christa. I definitely see marriage in their futures.

Riley's big, round hazel eyes looked up at me in wonder. My hand felt his soft, dark hair as I held his head. His pink lips and porcelain skin reminded me of Frank. Riley is such a peaceful little boy. At night, majority of the time, Ariana is the one that wakes him up, causing him to throw a fit. I smiled at him, bringing him up to me and kissing his forehead gently.

Frank skipped into the room, a baby bottle in his hand, smiling at me and Riley. He wore a long sleeved thermal shirt and dark jeans. Frank and I probably looked awful. We have been up almost every night, taking care of the babies. They just will not fall asleep sometimes. During the day we work hard to parent these babies. It's a lot of work, but I love it. Being a mother is the best job in the world.

He handed me the bottle, I smiled up at him and began feeding Riley. He sucked the nipple of the bottle noisily and happily. I chuckled, and then looked up at Frank again to see he held Ariana in his arms, feeding her as well. Ariana is a peanut, but damn can she cry. She is a loud crier, she just wails. She likes to stare as well. She has these bright hazel almost green eyes; she loves to stare at you while you feed her, or while you’re doing your own thing. She's a very keen observer. I could see her light brown hair from over Frank's forearm as he swayed from side to side with her. Already, she is definitely a daddy's girl.