•Chapter 9: It's not over•

Start from the beginning

I started to panic and I backed away from the door. I fell back and started pushing with my legs towards the back of the room. She took two steps towards me, leaving little footprints. I start to cry harder, "Please. Please stop." I finally bang my back against the wall. I'm cornered. She takes one more step and tilts her head towards me. "Wha-?" I whisper. She points to the carved wall and then looks back at me. I break out in a cold sweat. My heart begins to drop, feeling heavier each passing second. The air supply to my lungs finally stops. I start to gasp for air and I feel myself being pulled into a pit of darkness. My eyes roll to the back of my head and the weight of gravity pulls the rest of me the the floor.

-

"Thankfully, she's going to be fine. This is unfortunately very common with patients that are affected by depression." The muffled voice infiltrates my mind. "Do you know when she will be waking up? When we can take her home?" A familiar voice says. "Well, since this was a suicide attempt, we do need to keep her in observation for a bit longer. Just to make sure she's safe."

"I just can't believe she would do that..."

"Thank goodness you found her just in time." Said a third voice. Another familiar one that started a feeling of warmth in my heart. My eyes are not yet open, and I still do not have the ability to speak but I can hear the people around me. I have little strength to open my mouth. "Suicide attempt?!" My mind starts racing over the last few memories I had acquired. And then I remember. Her. That girl. My heart begins to pump harder, faster. I start to freak out and pull on my IV cords. The nurses come in. I know it's them from their cold gloves. They try to grab my limbs and a sharp pain is inflicted into my thigh. A wave of calmness rushes over me. My heart slows down and my body goes numb.

-

A warm hand holds mine so delicately. I try to think of where Ive felt this feeling. The thick fingers, the delicate touch. My eyes begin to allow in the blinding hospital lights. I blink a couple of times to adjust to the white light. The air feels crisp and clean. My head turns to my arm to find an old smile that I missed. "Henry?" I question with a soft voice. "You're awake!" His eyes widen. "Mmm, it feels so good to hear your voice." I say, staring into his light eyes. "I can't believe I almost lost you..."

"Lost me?"

"Yes, you overdosed on your depression medicine."

"No. No, I didn't."

"Scarlett, you took 6 pills."

"No. I took 2, that what it said on the label."

"Darling, Alice found you completely passed out and the only thing in your system were those pills that you took too much of."

"Henry, I'm telling you. I didn't overdose. I passed out."

"Scarlett I..."

"No! It's true, in my room, I saw something and it scared me so much I fainted."

"Scarlett, look at you. You've lost weight, your eyes are bloodshot, you have red circles, you were barely breathing when Alice found you. I just can't help but feel responsible for this." His insensitive call out on my features angered me.

"Yeah. I know. I look horrible..." My eyes begin to glare on his oddly well styled hair and his clean clothes. Also the fact that his weight has maintained the same and he seemed to be getting a full nights sleep regularly. The scene causes my eyes to narrow. "... you haven't changed though. I guess we can see who cared more about what we had."

"You can't possibly-?"

"Yes! I am! Because of your attitude that day we stopped talking. And I called you countless times- I even fell into this hole of sickness because of you. Because I couldn't stand being without you, I turned into this! Clearly the road was a lot smoother for you."

Our conversation was interrupted by the doctor. "I see you're awake! How does it feel?"

"Feels the same."

Her smile fades and she looks awkwardly at her papers. "Well good news, a few more days and you're outta here!"

"Fantastic doctor, I'll be sure to be counting the days!" Henry cuts in.

"Alice is taking me back, no need to go out of your way. You don't like my house remember?" I jab at our last argument.

The doctor senses the tension. "I'm going to check in on a few other patients and I'll be right back!"

The next few days were dull, full of routine. As each day ended, my fear to return home increased. "Did they not see the words on the wall? Did I really mix up the pill numbers and imagine the whole thing?" These were the thoughts that came to my mind every day. But eventually, the day arrived and Alice picked me up with Chris and drove me back to our house. Chris has now agreed to stay with me in the house while Alice worked, then when she finished her shift he would go back home. This was the plan till I "got better". I also asked to sleep downstairs on the couch. I decided to avoid the upstairs completely, I didn't want to bring back any more memories from that day. My actions were now monitored, but I only hoped that someone else could witness these things just so they wouldn't think that I am insane.