E I G H T E E N

I woke up still curled on the couch tucked into a blanket. It took a second for me to remember that I was still in Jace's house. I checked all of the rooms downstairs before making my way up to his room to see if he was here or if he left. His bedroom door was slightly open and I could see an unconscious Jace sprawled on his bed laying on his stomach. I moved into his room, seeing how close I could get before he woke up. 

I made it to the edge of his bed, where I could see his back rising and falling with each breath. I leaned over his body shaking his shoulder to wake him up. He jumped, elbowing me in the chin in the process of waking up. 

"Shit," he cursed, tired eyes finding mine. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hit you."

I held onto my throbbing face, regretting coming in here. "It's fine. I should have probably thought twice about waking you up. Are we going to school today?"

He cursed again, checking the time to see that it was half-past seven. We weren't late, but if we didn't leave soon we would be. "Yea, get ready."

I nodded, walking out of the room before something occurred to me and I had to walk back into his room. "I can't go to school in my pjs."

He looked back at me, eyeing my clothing, just now realizing that I couldn't in fact go to school with only my pajamas on. "Do you want to wear some of my clothing?"

I couldn't tell if he was serious, so I just stared blankly back at him. 

"Well?" He tried again.

"Oh, you're serious? Are we even the same size?"

He put a hand to his chest, faking being hurt. "Did you just call me fat?"

"Yes, you're huge. How is my 5'5 self gonna fit into your 6'0 size clothing?"

"Yee of little faith," he said handing over a grey hoodie and a pair of folded black sweatpants. I opened them up, noticing that they would only be slightly bigger on me, but that was the style now, so I didn't mind. 

"Hmm, this might work." I left to change in the bathroom, marveling at the softness of the sweatpants. They fit pretty snug on my waist, but my legs were lost within the bagginess of the pant legs. The grey hoodie was the perfect amount of oversize. The clothes smelled like Jace—faintly of detergent and the cologne he wore daily. 

I never usually wore sweatpants to school unless it was really cold, so I knew I would get weird looks from Cami and Dave as to why I was clearly wearing clothes that weren't mine. It was too early in the morning, so I didn't feel like thinking too hard about the potential consequences of showing up to school like this. It would probably be fine. 

I left the bathroom, immediately running into Jace who was turning into the stairwell. 

"You look . . . comfy," he finished, holding back a laugh, and at that moment I knew I looked ridiculous. I wasn't one of those girls who could rock sweats, and it was obvious. 

I smacked his shoulder. "Shut up." He was dressed in blue jeans and a white sweater that hung onto his muscles. I glared up at him, realizing that he was going to school dressed normally, meanwhile I had to wear oversized clothing like I just picked it out of the lost and found at school. 

"How come you look hot, and I look like I'm on set for a rap music video from the '90s?" 

"It's either that or your pajamas."

"Can't you just poof a nice outfit for me?" I asked, hands in the air, not sure if I was pleading to Jace or God at this point. 

"No, it's best if I stop doing magic around you, otherwise the trace of it will remain on you longer."