Chapter 6 | The Date Of All Dates

The show James took me to was long and boring, and to be very honest, I couldn't wait to get out. All I know is that there was a hell of a lot of singing and I began to nod off about fifteen minutes in.

It was nearly ten o'clock by the time we exited the theatre. The wind was beginning to pick up slightly and my bare arms were beginning to get cold. I think James must have caught on and he offered me his suit jacket. Unable to refuse, I agreed to take it. It was better than being cold, right?

"Are you hungry at all?" he asked.

"Not really," I told him, eager to get home.

"Well, I'd offer to take you for ice cream in that case, but I don't think it's warm enough," laughed James. The cold didn't seem to be phasing him. "Tonight didn't turn out so bad after all, did it?"

Reluctantly, I shook my head, but I knew it was high time I got down to business. James needed to know this wasn't going to work out. I had to tell him before he got the wrong idea or Holly and Fred interfered. I decided it was the right time to do it when we passed the technology shop on Port Road. James didn't have his driving licence yet, so we were forced to go on foot. The coloured lights were shining down on us like spotlights on stars and my silver shoes were beginning to glisten.

I loved to glisten.

"Listen, James," I said. "I don't appreciate what you did with my parents. I didn't want you to meet them. I'd have told you if I did."

James looked slightly taken aback - disgusted even. "What do you mean? It's the right thing to do, isn't it - to meet your parents before I take you out? It's the gentlemanly thing to do."

"That's where you and I differ," I answered. "I didn't want you to do the gentlemanly thing. I wanted just to go out with you, James." I didn't even want that, honestly. "I didn't want this whole meet the parents charade. If I'm being honest with you James, it's put me off."

James went silent. He hadn't been this quiet all night, not even during the show. I was sure he had attempted to sweeten me to get a kiss multiple times (I knew he was intent on getting one), but I acted oblivious and shrugged him off.

His next words didn't come until we were a quarter of a mile from home.

"I'm sorry if I upset you, Serena. I thought it's what you wanted. Fred said he did it for Holly and she was happy that he had and I've been bought up that it's the right thing to do. I don't mean to put you off, Serena, honestly. I really do like you."

"Fred didn't meet Holly's parents on the first date," I said. "I was at Holly's when she left and returned from their first date and the second, and on the third, he came to her house through a window, James. He didn't meet her parents until they were together for about five months."

"But, Fred said -"

"Fred lied." I rolled my eyes. "Fred is a douche."

I had hoped James wouldn't be, but the tendencies were showing.

"We are quite different, James, as are you and Fred." I felt it best to be honest with him. "I don't know if we can make this work."

Again, for some time, James was silent. It was as if he was contemplating his words very carefully. "What makes you think that?" he asked after a while. "It's not like we've really had a chance to get to know one another. How can you throw something away before you've had a chance to open it up?"

Yes, I know. James had a good point. If he'd been better looking, maybe I'd have listened.

Jokes. I am joking.