Chapter 3 | Laws Of Attraction

It turned out that James was as good as bowling as Holly - and she was amazing. Nine out of ten was her average, whereas mine was about fourish. You'd never have thought it by looking at him, but he was very good. It headed down the very middle almost every time.

The information I'd learned out of this - he'd been on a lot of dates.

You see, bowling isn't something you automatically pick up or even stay good at if you haven't done it for years. No doubt, James had been many times and quite obviously with a date. Who knew? Maybe he could have been with someone for ages, like Holly and Fred and this had become an enjoyable source of entertainment for their dates, or maybe he only ever mastered this on many first dates.

I didn't know. Truth be told, I didn't really care. But, Holly insisted that I show up and take an interest and against my very best interests, I decided I better get to know him. This could have turned into a weekly routine. The least I could hope to get from this (and I really was hoping for the least) was a decent conversation.

"You don't do this often, do you?" James asked, picking at his chips while we waited for Fred to take his final go. Holly stood by eagerly, as always.

"Do what?" I asked. "Bowling? No. Once in a blue moon."

"Bowling and dates," said James. He smiled. "I can tell. You're awkward. Hard to talk to."

"I am not awkward," was my first response. "I just don't like double dates, especially when I know nothing about the person I'm being set up with until we're face to face."

Just kidding. That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't cruel enough to say that. Well, I was, but James was too nice. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, even if he wasn't my kind of choice.

"Fred didn't really tell me much about you," said James. He had scooted a little closer, but he wasn't invading my space - not yet. The noise was beginning to die down a little as everyone began to leave. The alley closed in half an hour.

"I didn't even know you existed until yesterday," was my reply.

James laughed at that. "Holly didn't say anything, then?"

"Nope."

"Does she try to set you up often?"

I was beginning to feel like I was at a job interview. All these questions. All of these answers. It was all one-sided. But, if I asked James about Fred setting him up, I'd be in deep shit because he'd take it as I was flirting.

I rarely flirted.

"Sometimes," I said plainly. "Where are you from, anyhow?"

"I've lived here my entire life," said James. "I just went to private schools, but my parents decided it's time I move to a public school, so I'm starting at Himberwill in January. Until then, I'm being homeschooled."

All of these had been options for me after middle school. My dad was almost intent on sending me to a private school, but I had been in public school and I wanted to carry on that way.

"Oh," I said, realisation hitting me, "so, you've got Fred to introduce you to some of the people from school. I get it now."

James blushed. "Well, no. Not exactly, anyway."

I did not react.

"All right!"

Holly was clapping ecstatically, watching as Fred's score went up and he moved up to second, way ahead of me, but only one point higher than James.