№.1 :: The Unexpected Surprise

Start from the beginning

My feet glided over the long series of stairs and it didn’t take long until I came into view of the guests, quickly placing a fake smile on across my lips. I continued on my way down the stairs and into my father's open arms. He smiled down at me and led me into the ballroom, which had been transformed into a makeshift dining area. Guests stood up as I walked into the ballroom. My father walked to the head of the table and sat down, and I took the seat beside him while the guests settled themselves once more.

An obnoxious looking boy sat across from me and he didn’t look any older than seventeen. I had no idea who this boy could be, but my father was speaking to the boy as if they’ve been friends for several years. A look of annoyance appeared over my features as I began playing with the food that had been set before me by servants; the conversation between the boy and my father quickly turned to subjects such as politics and the economy, such matters that I really didn’t care about at the moment.

Every once in a while, I would catch the boy glimpsing at me from the corner of his eye, and it was really starting to get on my nerves. I ate my three course meal in silence, ignoring all the people that tried to start a conversation with me. I knew I was disappointing my father with my behavior just by seeing the frown that had formed on his lips. At the end of the feast, my father stood up and tapped his glass with a fork to get everyone's attention. When all eyes were on my father, he began to speak.

"Welcome friends to our celebration on this wonderful evening," his voice boomed, all the guests clapping for my father, "I want to start off by introducing one of my special guests here tonight, the prince of the Wind Country, Mayako Isuasha." The boy who sat across from me for the entire feast stood up and bowed towards the sitting guests, who also began clapping for him. Mayako sat back down and smiled at me." Now, I would like to announce the surprise that I have for my daughter," my father boomed, smiling down at me.

My gaze had been fixated on the plate before me for most the evening, but I was force to lift my gaze once my father mentioned me. I looked up from the plate to look up at my father, waiting to hear what his surprise was. I honestly didn't want to know what it could be, but I was dying to find out if he actually did something that would place the kingdom before me." The surprise that I have for my daughter is that she now engaged because in one week’s time, she will marry Prince Mayako and unit the Snow and the Wind Countries." My father announced with a large smile on his face, probably feeling very content with himself.

Everyone clapped at the announcement as my eyes grew wide with shock. All the guests began to congratulate Prince Mayako and I for our engagement, but I was trying with all my strength to keep myself from breaking down in front of everyone. My stomach began to hurt a lot, so I quickly escaped the crowd that was surrounding my future husband and I, and made my way over to my father. Grabbing my father by the wrist and dragging him away from the crowd, I hid the shock that dominated my features moment ago with a fake smile. "Father, I'm really happy about my engagement to Prince Mayako," I lied through my teeth, "but I'm not feeling well. I'm going to bed now. Please tell Prince Mayako that I was honored to meet him."

I didn't even wait for a response from my father because I already knew that he would object to my leaving a feast early. I quickly made my way up the grand staircase to my room. By the time that I reached my bedroom, tears were streaming down over my cheeks. Throwing the door open, I walked in and quickly caught sight of Raile sitting on my bed. She looked over at me, and concern filled her eyes as she got up and walked to my side. "What's wrong?" Raile asked in a soft voice, bringing me into a comforting hug.

“The surprise that my father had for me is that I have to marry a boy that I don't even know," I said, trying to keep my breathing regulated, "I'm leaving. I can't marry that boy, Raile. He’s unbearable. I can’t wait around and allow my father to take away the little freedom that I have to my name.”

"You can't leave, what about the kingdom?" Raile said, "We need you here where you belong."

"The kingdom doesn't need me as bad as you think since I'm probably going to have to live in his kingdom," I retorted, not allowing my mind to be changed.

"Where are you going to go then?" Raile asked.

"I'm going to the Hidden Leaf, but if my father asks, you are to tell him that I'm in the Sand Village," I replied. I was quick on my feet as I got out of my kimono and quickly changed into black shorts and a blood-red tank top. I slipped my feet into black ninja sandals and tied my weapons pouch on to right thigh. Removing the pins from my hair, I allowed it to cascade down my back towards my waist.