№.1 :: The Unexpected Surprise

Chapter One

Name: Serenity Kabusashi; Princess and heir to the Snow Kingdom. (Originally from the Hidden Ice Village.)

Age: Sixteen (the genin from the Hidden Leaf are thirteen and Itachi Uchiha is nineteen years old.)

Personality: Serenity is very kind-hearted and thinks about others before herself. She may be a bit shy around new people, but opens up to people who respect her for being herself. She's quite lonely since she's not allowed to leave the kingdom or make friends with the village surrounding the kingdom. Serenity is also very insecure about her appearance even though most people think she's quite beautiful.

Abilities: At first, Serenity's father would not allow her to become a kunoichi because he believed it was too dangerous for a Princess to take part in such things. After much begging, Serenity had private tutors from all over the world come to the kingdom to show her the ways of the shinobi. Serenity doesn't have an "official" rank since she never took part in the Chuunin Exams, but she is considered a prodigy among her people and surpasses most Jounin with her skills. Serenity has several chakra changes in nature, which means she can utilize many different elements in ninjutsu. She is also an avid healer and has precise chakra control which gives her monstrous strength when she releases it all in one blow. She is also gifted with the ability to see the future through her dreams, but doesn't realize this until further along in the story.

Family: The only living family that Serenity has would be her father, the king of the Snow Country. Her father is very protective of his daughter and does things for her best interest, but never realized how it affected her emotionally and mentally. Serenity’s mother died during labor, her last breaths assuring her daughter’s life and future. Serenity’s brother, Niko, was killed by shinobi during his travels at the age of sixteen when Serenity was only eight years old.

_____________

I stood in the center of my room, getting dressed for the banquet that my father was throwing in my honor. Standing on a small, wooden stool in the center of my room, maids surrounded my small form as they began adjusting a kimono to fit my unique form. The kimono was a light blue color with white sakura petals scattered all over it. There was also a dark blue sash that would go tied around my thin waist. I didn't know the reasoning behind my father's decision to throw such an elaborate banquet in my honor, but I was absolutely sure that it would involve something that I would be completely against.

"Princess Serenity, your father said that he had a big surprise for you tonight," my maid Raile said while tying the dark blue sash around my waist.

"I know Raile, but can you please just call me Serenity. You know how I feel about you using my title when we're in my private quarters." I spoke softly while looking down from the stool to stare in Raile's blue gaze. "You're one of my closest friends here in the kingdom and I don't like it when you call me Princess Serenity. I feel like it belittles the friendship that we have."

"Of course Prin..., I mean Serenity," Raile said, concentrating on her job as a small smile curled on her lips. I returned the grin, knowing that I could trust my maid with some of my most important secrets.

I gazed down from the stool, watching Raile with concentration blazing within her eyes as she tied an elegant bow with my sash. The other maids were rushing around my room, attempting to clean up after themselves. Hours had gone by since they had begun working on my appearance for the night and my room had been left a mess. I shifted my gaze back to Raile, who was my only true friend. She had never used me for the power I obtained and Raile was one of the few people who treated me as if I were just a normal person instead of royalty. That was one of the true reasons why I liked her so much and why I held so much respect towards her.

"Serenity, what do you think your surprise is going to be?" Raile asked as she began working her magic on pulling my hair up into a loose bun.

"I honestly have no idea what it could be, but it's probably going to be something that I won't like. You know how my father can be. He does things thinking it will help me in the long run." I replied softly, keeping my gaze fixed on the mirror before me.

"Serenity, you're old enough to understand that what your father does for you is for your best interests," Raile said, looking up from her work to gaze at my face in the mirror's reflection.
"Yes, I already know that, but he never thinks about my feelings. He doesn’t care how one of his decisions may affect me as long as the well-being of the Snow Kingdom comes first. My father is a great king. He truly places the people before anyone else…" I responded, tears threatening to swell in my eyes at the truth coming from my mouth.

"I can’t give my opinion on such matters, Serenity, but your father really does love you. You are the apple in his eye." Raile said, finished with my hair as she gazed up at me once more. "I can't really talk about the king without getting punished, so my opinion will be kept quiet. Anyway, you should go now. You don't want to keep the guests waiting."

"I suppose," I said in a small voice, a sigh slipping through my lips in defeat. Raile held out a hand and helped me step down from the stool. I couldn’t help gazing at my reflection in the mirror. I sighed in slight frustration, knowing what was going to happen tonight. Men wouldn't be able to stop staring at me and it's just going to make me feel more uneasy about my appearance. I whispered my goodbyes to Raile and the other maids since they were forbidden from attending any formal party, and I slowly made my way towards the grand staircase.