№.35 :: The Spoken Truth

Chapter Thirty-Five

All was shrouded with darkness until the candlelight torches began to sensually burn, creating shadows that danced along the wall, giving the hallway an eerie aura. Silence enveloped the hallway, not a soul stirring as the Akatuski headquarters slowly stepped back into the depths of the shadows. She had been their light, she had kept the darkness away. One could say that depression settled over the men of the Akatsuki after Serenity’s departure, but not a soul spoke of her since she left. Without cruel intentions, Serenity had left a hole in the heart of the Akatsuki, and every member was quite aware of this. No one predicted the impact that the young kunoichi princess could have left, and no one was prepared for the pain that they each had to live with. Each Akatsuki member had their own way of dealing with Serenity’s absence, and many of them kept their mourning in silence, hidden behind doors to avoid the attentive gaze of their peers. Twenty-four hours had passed since Itachi had left with his precious bundle, and several members were curious about his whereabouts, especially the blonde and youngest member of the criminal organization. Deidara had grown extremely fond of the Snow princess, and was even brave enough to call her his best friend. It was hard for the blonde to smile knowing that she was gone, but he nonetheless understood the circumstances, and knew that her departure was necessary for her own safety.

The sun was perched high in the sky, announcing the arrival of midday. The blonde rushed through the halls of the headquarters, his electric blue gaze holding anxiety as he sharply turned a corner. Word had quietly circulated that the eldest Uchiha had returned from his mission and Deidara was anxious to know what had happened. His chest was slowly rising and falling with every breath he inhaled, his exhaustion noticeable as he slowly stopped in front of Itachi Uchiha’s bedroom. Anxiety dwelled within his piercing blue gaze as he brought his hand up to knock, wanting to announce his presence in an orderly fashion. Approaching footsteps echoed off the walls, freezing Deidara in his place as he turned his gaze towards the shadows. The footsteps grew closer with each passing second, and surprise flickered across his features once a figure stepped out from the darkness, slowly trotting towards the blonde. Deidara’s racing heart suddenly stopped as Itachi’s face appeared out of the shadows; the blonde quickly noticed that the Uchiha’s Sharingan was deactivated and it was the first time that he was seeing the prodigy’s onyx hues. Deidara’s heart was filled with hope, but it immediately faded once he caught sight of the blood that stained the Uchiha’s cloak and the rips that tattered its material. Itachi was extremely pale as he grew closer to the blonde, and worriment quickly filled Deidara once again. ‘Who’s blood was he covered in?’

Itachi grew closer—the Uchiha activated his Sharingan once again when he realized that he was no longer alone in the hallway—his Kekkei Genkei sparkling against the darkness of the hallway. Deidara felt foolish for not instantly realizing that the figure had been the eldest Uchiha; he was identifiable just by the meres waves of chakra that radiated from him, and the foul mood that tainted his aura. Deidara grew anxious as he stepped to the side, allowing Itachi passage into his own bedroom. The Uchiha was turning the metal knob, slowly opening his bedroom door when the blonde no longer could hold in his curiosity. “Is Serenity safe? Was your mission successful, Itachi-sama?” The blonde anxiously whispered, keeping his voice low to avoid the attention of curious passerbys. Itachi froze with his hand on the knob, his body stiffening as he allowed Deidara’s words to slowly sink in. His arm gently fell to his side before gazing over his shoulder; the blonde flinched under Itachi’s gaze, slowly regretting his choice of words. Itachi’s Sharingan gaze was narrowed into dangerous slits, hatred and anger dominating his hues which he directed towards the blonde. It was only a second later that pain rushed through Deidara’s back, shooting down the length of his spine as one of Itachi’s massive hands began tightening around the blonde’s neck. Deidara gasped as the overwhelming amount of pain made it difficult for him to even breathe properly, but he slowly opened his eyes, staring directly into the Uchiha’s frustrated gaze. He fought against the pain that dwelled in his back, silently praising Itachi for being able to pin him against the wall in a matter of seconds.