Forty Three: The First Step To Forever

Start from the beginning

Each word of such an emotional topic obviously scalds his throat, but he manages to make his point with that simple sentence. I can't say I agree. On days I had lost team members in the previous years I never said a word to my family. I can't stand the idea of pity, let alone having it placed on me under such circumstances.

"People grieve in different ways, Damian," I say after awhile. 

He frowns at me.

"I'm glad that your process involved others knowing, but for me and obviously for Dick, we prefer the privacy." It surprises me that he doesn't as well.

"I am not referring to pity, if that is what you mean," he bites sharply. "You may disagree, but I know Grayson better than you. On this day he tends to act completely different. I also know your tendencies and believe you'd interpret the shift in his personality as a personal offence."

Oh. So that's his motivation. Little asshole.

"During a particular day of the year I become very easily agitated."

"More than usual?" I snap, done with this conversation.

He glares at me, "I nearly killed Drake thrice, threw a bowl at Brown's head and destroyed father's latest invention. They called some drab therapist and attempted to search for some deep-seated issue for weeks. If I had merely told them what the day was to me we could have avoided issue."

First, I thought that kind of peril was part of their every day life? Second, what the hell kind of anniversary would make him do that? Third, why does this kid not go to therapy every day? Fourth, surely he has multiple deep-seated issues?

I could have said any of those things, but I don't.

"Why do you care if I interpret Dick's actions the wrong way?"

It's a simple question. Damian's eyes widen at it though, like he wasn't prepared to be asked that.

"If you can't answer that question yourself, I have no place in answering."

People probably like to think of Damian as an old soul. Wise like the tortoise on Kung Fu Panda, or Dumbledore. I think of him as a snide little brat who can't decide if he's nasty or just mean.

"You also have no place in going against your brother's wishes but here we are," I say, but he's already up and walking to the door. I can't believe he stopped by this early just for that. "Whatever you're trying to do, are you really helping it by refusing to answer my questions?" 

He stops right before he can disappear around the corner. 

"Is there something else? Or did you really just stop by for that?"

He doesn't turn around, but he sounds quite lighthearted for himself when he says, "You make Grayson very happy. Do you know that?"

Instead of waiting for a response he runs away like a little bitch.

"The fuck?" I whisper to the cats.

I'm not entirely sure which part to focus on.

If I go from the start- Damian really, really cares for Dick. I don't think he's lying, which means today I need to be distracting, without giving anything away. Or it could be the complete opposite and I need to give him space?

"Cleo?"

Dick appears at the bedroom door, hair tousled with our blanket around him. It's cute.

"Hey," I smile, panicking over whether or not he heard.

"Did I hear the elevator?" He asks, only one bleary eye open.

"You did," I think quickly, "It was just Mai. She's heading to Sunset ahead of us and came to give me my itinerary." It's the best I can do.