Chapter 1

I awoke in a dark alley. 'What the hell happened?' I thought. One moment I was walking from school, and the next I find myself somewhere that I knew wasn't anywhere near my home.

My name is Joshua Mattson. I'm fifteen years old, and I'm a bit overweight, but not too heavy. I lived with my happy family... until my mom passed away two years ago. Ever since then, my dad always came home drunk around the same time I would get home. He would beat me as hard as he could. But I didn't care what happened to me. I just knew that shit happens, and you need to move on. I couldn't let anything bring me down!

I walked out of the alley, only to find that I was in some sort of city that was completely foreign to me. After a few seconds of examining my surroundings, I heard a quiet SNAP! I looked to my left to see a giraffe lady with her phone in her... hooves? I assumed she must've been taking a picture of me.

"Hello," I greeted, not realizing that she wasn't human. A second later, I realized she wasn't human. Yeah, I gotta admit, I wasn't exactly the smartest person around. I turned back and looked up at the giraffe, shouting, "Woah, okay!" as I backed away, tripping in the process and landing on the hard concrete. I sat up, rubbing the back of my head.

"Ow..." I groaned. When I looked up again, there was already a large crowd of other animals of different species gathering around me, taking pictures and videos. Any normal person would be scared to be in my situation. But me, being not normal, was merely confused. I wasn't often aware of how I should feel in certain situations, such as this one.

Eventually, I saw two police cars and a limousine arrive at the scene. A buffalo, a fox, a bunny, and a few other animals in lab coats, and a lion in a tuxedo came out of their vehicles.

"Alright, that's enough," shouted the buffalo. He walked up and glared at me. Perhaps he was trying to intimidate me so I would become submissive, but at the time I couldn't tell what his intentions were. So instead of feeling scared, I merely stared back with confusion in my eyes.

"Alright, you... thing," the buffalo said to me in a harsh tone. "What are you doing here? You're here to hurt us, aren't you?!"

It took a while to process everything that was happening. And before I could even finish doing so, the buffalo shouted at me once more.

"Answer me, damn it!"

I covered my ears. Loud noises tend to hurt my head... a lot.

"Chief Bogo," a feminine voice said. "Maybe it would be better if we handled this situation." The fox and the bunny I saw a few minutes ago emerged from the crowd.

"Fine," the buffalo, which I assumed was "Chief Bogo", replied. "But make sure that disgusting creature gets taken care of."

That's when I got angry. I was sensitive to being called names. I was often teased at school because of my weight. The only names I didn't mind were "marshmallow" and others that meant I was soft. You'd think I would want to lose weight, but I honestly didn't. I liked being chubby. And I loved feeling like a teddy bear or a marshmallow. Whenever I hugged someone when they were upset, they would always calm down and hug back because of how soft I felt. That's what I loved about my size.

'Calm down, Josh,' I thought. 'Don't let it get to you. You can't let anything stop you from staying happy in your life.'

If you enjoyed this chapter, then please hit that "Vote" button, that's really appreciated. And If you REALLY enjoyed it, then in the comments section below, type "#zootopia"!