3.21.5 | Treasures New and Old

Zacznij od początku

Direct method. That was the way to go. A few rings later, the phone was answered. "Irani House, how may I help you?"

"May I speak to Sam Irani?"

"And who may I say is calling?"

"Arnav Singh Raizada."

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

I thanked the waiter for bringing us the menus and then glanced at the man in front of me. Sam Irani. I hadn't known what he looked like, but the second he'd walked into the restaurant, I'd known who he was. He carried himself with poise the same way his father did. He may have grown up in the States and spent the later part of his life thus far away from his family, but the vibe he sent off was one of Irani's. With a simple look, he could have sent everyone the message that he was here to stay and his young age didn't speak for his lack of experience or competence.

To be honest, I wouldn't hold a variable as age against anyone. With hard work, dedication, and passion, anyone could achieve what they set their mind to.

After the waiter left, he expressed, "I'm surprised you called. ASR - that's the name you go by in the industry, yes?"

He's done his homework. Why wouldn't he have? He was there at the calendar launch even if we hadn't crossed paths. "It can't be that much of a surprise. You must be aware your father and I were in good standing."

Sam bobbed his head to the side, "He might have mentioned how he respected the work and talent at AR. Still, my surprise is from the fact that you are not known to approach people. People approach you."

I offered him a mysterious smile, "When it comes to people or things I care about, I don't see the problem in picking up the phone myself and dialing a number."

"Good to know you know when to rise above your ego." He commented casually, but I was sure I had made an impression. I wasn't going to let on just yet what impression I had of him, but I was starting to understand his appeal when Aarav talked about him from what Khushi would mention to him.

Least, he knew when to give appreciation where it's due.

I crossed my hands on the table, leaning in a bit. "I'll get straight to the point. I don't know what, yet, but I do know I'd like to work with you in the near future."

Once again, there was surprise not just in his voice but his body language as well. "A collaboration? You nor AR are not known for that."

"A good businessman knows when to bring changes, and the time for AR to expand and be a symbol of something bigger and better is now."

He cleared his throat, leaning in to show he wasn't intimidated, and questioned. "I'll offer the courtesy of getting straight to the point too. The press conference you held some weeks ago. Is it true?"

It somewhat threw me off balance, but I did not let on. "My sister, yes, but our personal life is not up for debate here. It has nothing to do with..."

He cut me off and I am almost left baffled. Not many people get away with that. "It has everything to do with this. You may be the brains behind AR, and no offence, but she is the face and creativity that is the reason AR Designs exist. If I am to consider this, I and my team has to work with her, not you."

"Look, if you have a problem with what happened to her, then..." I began defensively, ready to defend my sister and change my mind about this collaboration if he was going to be a judgmental asshole.

Alas, he surprised me with a smile and cutting me off yet again. "You're getting me wrong, ASR. I have nothing but respect for the two of you. Life threw a curveball at each turn and nevertheless, you two managed to flourish. You've got thick skin and reached this height with no outside influence. I admire that in a person. If I ask, it's because I am the type of guy who likes to know what he is getting into before calling it a done deal. I prefer certainties. Assurances. And so, I just want to make sure she is ready for this. Irani House has a set standard and despite how revered she is in the industry, it won't be a walk in the park. If she needs to focus on her personal life first, then I say that takes precedence. We can always do this at a later time."