With another movement, his wand appeared in his hand.

"Keep your books in your bags. You have already wasted five precious years looking at the theory. We will start practicing, and you will look at the theories by yourselves." A rustle filled the room. When all was silent, he crossed his arms. "We will start with non-verbal spells. Can anyone tell me what they are and why they are important?"

No one raised their hand, not even Granger. His lips twitched at the abnormality. He was sure she knew. She always did. Instead, she cowered at his glance, hiding from him, from getting attention. Respect was one thing, but hiding knowledge and not participating was completely different. This was out of character for her. She had always wanted to prove herself and raised her hand until she became irritating, but now she was literally hiding.

"Miss Granger, I require your memory to teach these brainless classmates what they should already know." She tensed. She definitely didn't want attention.

"Yes, sir." She straightened her posture a bit. She wasn't a coward when challenged, and he almost smiled at that. "This type of magic consists of forming spells without speaking out loud. Also it gives the spell caster an advantage if the opponent doesn't know what he is going to be hit with."

"Correct, Miss Granger. Thank you for your superior intellect, but is still too straight to the book." He heard Malfoy laughing and tried not to roll his eyes. But she had a small smile. She knew he'd just given her a compliment and constructive criticism. Merlin, his student's brains were totally disastrous if only she had noticed.

Today, she was a mirror of him when he was sitting in that class, in that same place, and he let himself feel a kinship with her for a moment.

"Pair up and start practicing simple enchantments and hexes non-verbally." He knew this was going to take months. They were too behind in this.

As he saw the students moving, he found her again. She was trying to find a partner, but she only received negations, until she found Neville. The boy was an idiot in things, but at least he didn't hold a grudge against her. Though why the students were treating her the way they were was still a mystery.

As much as he didn't want to admit it, she would be the first to master this way of fighting.

Like he had in his younger days.

With a wave of his wand, the tables moved around until they were situated around the walls along with the chairs. Some of the students that were still sitting fell on the floor. After a minute, all students were in pairs and waiting for his instructions.

"Begin," he ordered and the voices rose. All of them failing at the first attempt. "I said non-verbal, Potter!"

The kid stopped to look at him with an annoying look. "What? I wasn't the only one that—"

"Shut up and ten points from Gryffindor. Next time keep your shouts lower, I heard you over everyone else. Or better yet follow my instructions and cast non-verbal. That way you might not get loved ones killed."

He saw the boy gritting his teeth and in a fast movement, his wand lifted to point at him. How easy it was to bait him. His short temper would put him at risk.

"Don't say things you don't know, bastard!"

The class went quiet.

Severus wanted to kill him. Hypocritical teen. Judging him without knowing a thing. He looked at him with murderous eyes. How he wished he could punish him with more than just removing his free time.