28. Papers Weigh Too Much

Start from the beginning

I nodded at her words and reached towards the door, but her words stopped me. "Tell your father that He isn't happy with the missing money." 

My eyes widened, but I opened the door and walked out, with the papers in my hands and the words on my mind. 

He isn't happy with the missing money

What could that mean?

I didn't get to think more about that since my father fumbled out the door with my mother's angry words after him. "Fuck off your idiot!" she yelled and slammed the door in his head before he got a word in. 

"Your little bitch," he mumbled high enough for me to hear. My body shook as he turned around and became aware of my presence. "Child? What the hell are you doing out? And at this time!" He marched towards me with an eyebrow raised and soon a fist. 

"I-I... Janie wanted me to give you this." I showed him the papers in my shaking hands and luckily distracted him for a moment. He looked down at my hands and collected the papers which he scrolled through pretty fast. 

"Did she say anything else to you?" he asked briskly and closed the space between us. His hands curled around my shirt and my crutches feel out of my hand so the only support I had left was my own unloving father. I was too shocked to answer and just opened my mouth without speaking. "Answer me!" 

His roar made me close my eyes and look away, but it still hurt as soon as his hand slammed against my cheek and left me on the ground in pain. My leg hurt like hell and the print on my face burned like thousands of flames. 

My face closed in a grimace. I went as quiet as a painting, not even letting a cry escape my lips. My eyes had frozen to a spot on the ground and for a moment I couldn't breathe. When a boat slammed into my stomach, a sound finally escaped my lips. 

"Answer me!" he roared once again and kicked me one more time before giving me time to answer. 

"She... she said something about that He isn't happy with the missing money." I bet not even the ground could hear it and that earned me another kick, this time placed closer to my face. 

"I can't hear you!" 

"He isn't happy with the missing money. That's what she said." 

Slowly I tried to get up but quickly realized how pathetic that would be. I bit my lip to not cry out from the huge pain in my body. A sharp pain flashed through my whole body and colorful spots danced in front of my tired eyes. In that moment I was ready to die. 

It was scary to be ready to die at such a young age. 

"That bitch." He walked away from me, but not for long, 'cause short after he walked towards me again and kicked me in my stomach before walked over to our car and driving away at high speed and leaving me bleeding on the ground, crying out in pain. 

Blood was slowly oozing out of my mouth, creating a slow flow of crimson. 

I looked up towards the door but quickly shook my head knowing it would be a bad idea to call on my mom. That would never end well. Instead, I found my crutches a little away from me and crawled towards them. 

With a whole lot of luck, I got onto my feet and had my crutches under my arms so they supported my legs. I glanced towards the house one more time before I chose to walk away with one place in mind, which I was probably going to regret later on. 

I walked down the empty streets, trying not to fall apart or cry too hard. I was exhausted and really didn't want to move, but had no other choice. And the cold wind did nothing good for me and deep inside I wished I had walked inside and just locked myself in my room, but no, Instead I was walking the dark streets. 

I couldn't believe I was still alive since for every step the ache would become worse and I would cough more blood up, which would either land on my clothes or the asphalt beneath me. I had to stop to catch my breath and steady my shaking legs. 

"God damn you, dad." 

I walked road after road and felt the pain sprad through my body and send flashes of it to my mind. Colors flickered without any pattern or design before my eyes and from time to time I couldn't really see anything and was deadly afraid to faint. 

Though the pain commanded my attention I kept moving forward towards my goal at the end of that massive road. I could just see the house from where I was walking, but it still felt far away, like I never would reach it. 

I stopped and moved my hand up to hold on my forehead. My eyes squeezed shut for a moment and all I wished was for the pain to go away and for me to go to sleep, but I had to make it to the house. I just had to. 

I looked up at the sky and as the clouds came, so did the rain. 

I began walking again and concentrated on only two things. Walk and stay awake. Nothing else. If I began to think I would have ended up on the ground crying in pain and that wasn't going to happen if I could prevent it. 

When I reached the house and began to walk up the pathway, my eyes searched for turned on light and luckily they did, a few lamps were still on, meaning there was probably someone awake. As I move closer and closer to the door, my hope grew with the length of my steps. 

It was hard to come the last way to the door, but when I finally knocked on the door and let myself lean against the wall to wait for someone to open, I was relieved. I had survived and now I only needed someone to open. Actually not someone, but the one. 

I waited minutes and as I was about to knock again, the door opened and I met his green eyes. He stared in shock down at me, because here I stood. I had just shown up at his doorstep soaking wet, bruised, and covered in crimson blood. 

"What the hell." He looked up and down at me and opened the door wide. 

I smiled. "Help." With that, I fell towards him and let the darkness consume me. The last thing I knew was that a pair of strong arms caught me and I felt a little safer. 

...

Have a nice day! 

-Houzza.