Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve : JUST STAY HERE

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

ANGEL

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

IT TOOK TWO HOURS for us to reach our destination. Maybe longer, because driving without headlights is dangerous and all. I probably wouldn't have noticed we reached our destination, had it not been for the sudden cloud of trees, and that the road went from smooth to bumpy, causing the car below me to jump. If Max or Fang had been driving, the car would be on two wheels, or swerving dangerously between the road and the grass.

When Fang sped up to find a landing spot, Ignus slowed the car down. Once he landed, Iggy, Gazzy and I followed. As we regrouped, I noticed the if http silence hanging in the air. Nature was usually loud in its own way. And a forest this lush would have animals nearby. But I could sense there were none, and any of them around were radiating fear.

Where the animals around here strays, like Total, taken and experimented on? I shook my head.

"This is Number 8," Minn spoke softly. I looked around. "How do you know?"

"The big 'Number 8' looming over there." She points. Her astute height advantage made me jealous for almost a second. But then I was only nine, and would be ten soon. I wondered if she was done growing. I hadn't tried to look into any of their minds, not really wanting to know what was inside. Looking away, Fang had already started walking.

"Remember, we have to be quiet, and focused, alright? No time for games." Fang called.

"We need a plan." Iggy said.

It was then that Fang stopped. "Okay. Gazzy, Iggy and I will go through the front and take out any immediate threats. Delaney and Minn search the east, Ignus and Angel take the west. Midge and Gina, take the north. Look for any hostages, and destroy everything they're using to clone or experiment on people."

A plausible plan. I nodded, but Ignus, my new partner, was looking at something in the land of nowhere. As if she couldn't get any stranger, I thought once she started walking. Her gait made me tense up. She's been here before, I'm sure. Had all of these guys been here before? Where they traumatised, having nightmares about this place like I had before? The only difference being the School and Number 8 were different places.

"Let's get moving," Fang said quietly, and was well ahead of me. I followed in behind Ignus, who was visibly uncomfortable.

Usually, when planning to attack, you look for a way of entry. It was dark outside, and only the occasional sweep of flashlights revealed the presence of guards. They were clones - distinguishable by their Max-like features. We quietly spread along the perimeter, darting this-way-and-that-way behind trees and bushes. But I could see a door - numbered "8.1". There had to be more.

There should be doors on each side of the building. It was too dark to see Fang, who was the ultimate master of hiding. But I searched through his mind, and nodded to myself when he responded.

I know. Its a pretty large building.

Ignus was a lot more skilled at hiding than I had previously expected. Her thin, willowy from blended easily with the thick trees, and her pink hair was her only identifier. I had thought we were in the clear for a mad-dive-for-the-doors move, when a loud screech reverberated in the forest, and I covered my ears. High-pitched wailing - a definite type of alarm.