Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine : FAX

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

ANGEL

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

I FELT THE PRESSURE and despair melt off of Fang. Understandably so. I did just bring Max back to life. not that she died, or anyhting, but - I mean that I brought her back to The Flock and Friends - our new group name!

All it took was concentration. Turns out, the epicenter of pain is where the damage is. in order to heal that pain, I had to interfere with Max's memories. Nothing drastic, like making her forget she was kidnapped, but smaller things. Like how Fang wasn't caught in a tryst with his ex-girlfriend. My biggest worry was how Max would react. As much as I wanted to be like everyone else, and thank their lucky stars - how many stories have I been told about how altering memories can alter the future? or was that time travel?

"Quick!" Nudge said. "Get some water, and give her some room." She backed up, and the rest of us followed. I caught Fang's eye, and I saw the smile fighting to become the dominant expression. I raised my eyebrows - Fang does not smile. Not even while Ryan Gosling holds a liter of puppies. Not even when I turn my puppy dog eyes on him.

Gazzy returned with a bunch of leaves that formed a makeshift cup. "I knew it would come in handy, Iggy." He stuck his tongue out, and handed it off to Nudge, who gave it to me, and I passed it to Fang. He was the only one hovering over her - we all stood at leads a foot back.

Max was coughing and gasping for air. She spaz-ed out, kind of, and then finally sat up. "Wh-where are we?" Was her first question. She squinted, and so I went to cover her eyes from the harsh morning light with a bundle of tree leaves. She turned to me. "Where are we?" Max repeated

Her voice was still gravelly. Fang rubbed her shoulders. "We're in the forest, Max. Do you remember anything?" He prodded gently. I didn't want to move away, but I also didn't want to ruin their moment. Especially when she hugged him suddenly - then burst into tears.

Was everyone getting emotional all of a sudden?

"I think we should give them some room, guys." I said, and started herding everyone away.

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

FANG

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

"I WAS KIDNAPPED AFTER running into Lissa and you and then I met these people and - and then I was taken away to see a cloning project, and the then I heard alarms and was put in a cell and then I blacked out and - " she started coughing and crying at the same time, then hugged me. I had no choice other than to hold her back - although it was weird when she was practically delivering the Nile through her tear ducts. I pushed away a little.

"I understand." I said, and she buried her face in my shirt. "This is all my fault - what do we do now?"

"I smirked. "I figured we would go visit your mother, eat cookies and I'd tell you about how we found you." She leaned away, and took a few shaky breaths. "No," she breathed. "I mean what do we do about the ...... " she started coughing again, and Angel came to us with some water. Again, Max started talking.

"What do we do about the evil scientists? They're creating clones for an army, and they're going to decimate the world." I raised a brow. Well, I guess we had to do something about that. But I just wanted Max in my arms. I wanted Max to want to be in my arms. Nothing every went simply along for me - or any one of the mutant kids here. What is it Angel joked about? The Flock and Friends.